metalmole

Anyone doin a 6mm/556 case with pushed back shoulder

Hi all...New member and first post, as the title says, Has anyone done a 6mm/556 case with the shoulders pushed back to load the heavier bullets to mag length ??

PS: looking forward to these forums, looks like some real thinkers and problem solvers around...

No.

Setting the shoulder back too far and multiple reloadings is a recipe for case head separation.

Stainless steel magazines will let you set the cartridge OAL to around 2.300" +/- a few thousands and feed reliably.

The question is will the SS mags fit in your lower. I have two Aero lowers that have no problem using SS mags.

I just picked up two LRB lowers that will not. So you have to try them to find out.

Glenn

Hi all...New member and first post, as the title says, Has anyone done a 6mm/556 case with the shoulders pushed back to load the heavier bullets to mag length ??

PS: looking forward to these forums, looks like some real thinkers and problem solvers around...

Pushing shoulders back would rquire a new die. You gain nothing by doing that. Now if you cut the NECK back you do gain longer seating in that the case mouth does not encroach on the bullet ogive. This could be acomplished by cutting back about 2 MM. You can do this in a regular 6X45 chamber without ill effects given you aren't shooting hundreds of tgem

Great theory now for reality it gains you NOTHING in the longewst you can load is mag lenght and the bullet stilgoes down and sucks up case volume. A case in point a sthey are cutting cases and necking up to 25 calling it a 25X223, actually he just cut it bacjk to 222 Remington lenght, as opposed to a full length25X45. The advantage is they can shoot the ogive probelmatic bullets.

Now lets talk 6X45. Realistically this one runs out of gas at 95 grains. 105's can be shot but tey are SLOW. If you want the hot rocks way to go on your probelm dial up ASC magazines and buy the STAINLESS not the ALUMINUM. They allow loading out to around 2.316 vs 2.260 in tha aluminum or so in a 223. This will gain all you want UNLESS ou want bit more then you merely cut the front out of your magazine down enough to hold five rounds or so and load the tips past the magzine body. Reference GOOGLE for HAGAR MAGAZINES.

I ran a test loading 87s and 90's two yeasr ago. Loaded at 2.260 and 2.305 or so. I found less than 15 FPS differnce in speeds with the SAME laoas. Accuracy was about 0.1 better with the longer less jump bullets. Look over Accurate Arms they give loads at 2.260 that work as well as anythng on the planet. If you must load LONG like long range 600 yard F-Class then you can go crazy but for day to day use the ASC magzines are the berries.

Welcome to the board and ask away. Someone on here can help wioth about any loading issue.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I figured that it wouldn't be worth the trouble, Just curious....I know a guy who took a 556 case cut it to 1.575 and pushed the shoulder back .200 and opened it up for a 6.5 bullet....I shot it with 120grn match bullets and it was a great little performer....seems like I remember him getting about 2400 fps with his load....

Thanks Greg, I figured that it wouldn't be worth the trouble, Just curious....I know a guy who took a 556 case cut it to 1.575 and pushed the shoulder back .200 and opened it up for a 6.5 bullet....I shot it with 120grn match bullets and it was a great little performer....seems like I remember him getting about 2400 fps with his load....

Lucky for him he had no idea what his pressures were. If he had he would be peeing his pants in the corner.

Ggreg

i

i

Lucky for him he had no idea what his pressures were. If he had he would be peeing his pants in the corner.

Greg

I could have been wrong about the velocity...that does seem high for that configuration....

i

i