talonhead

Just ordered a BHW .556 barrel

BEFORE

c8ed2518-6c61-4043-9e13-9d5cfbbb96e4_zps

AFTER

image.jpg2_zpsioanx8or.jpg

No buffer/spring, no last round hold open. I am waiting on barrel nut shim kit. Not to time for the usual reasons, but to time the ff tube due to the hole drilled for sling mount (used as mount for bipod). I would like to find a 'rail mount' mono pod for the stock (that doesn't cost a lot). But, for the time being the fore grip stick will work ( or a sand bag).

That looks sweet. Not sure how I would like that reciprocating bolt handle, might make a quick and painful lesson.

Hi James,

I didn't have any issues running it as an auto loader before. Now, your hand has to be on the handle to get it to move (no gas). I am looking at changing the charging handle out for a 'more traditional' style. Will know more after I put some rounds down range. The final goal for this build is -Left Eject, Right Hand Operated. with it being shot Left Handed.

But, I have to replenish my wallet to get the upper receiver with the left eject/right handle.

The shorter semi-bull barrel is much lighter than the old 24", not as front heavy. Link below to Quality Arms for description of upper.

MikeH

http://qualityarmsidaho.com/ambi-gen-2

Edited by talonhead

Not sure what happened to the photo links. Hope this fixes it.

Color fill

image.jpg23_zps13ef745b.jpg

Full length

FEAAC21D-F19C-48F3-87DE-14E461AC2CA1_zps

Smile!

image.jpg26_zps52752f6e.jpg

With "Kitty" (DPMS) grip

A272CE6E-8F28-4542-A2E7-A6E578D84CB5_zps

Magpul PRS with upside down Blackhawk grip as a monopod

image.jpg19_zpscc4bcd08.jpg

Edited by talonhead

Sweet looking set-up!

Sent an email off to Lantac in the UK as they build the straight pulls over there. They have a roller for the bolt and the extender for the op rod. This is a link. Scroll down and they show the Y/M NM BCG with the side charger extension and the bolt roller.

http://www.lannertactical.com/AR15-Straight-Pull-Side-Charging-Rifle.html

I am waiting on barrel nut shim kit. Not to time for the usual reasons, but to time the ff tube due to the hole drilled for sling mount (used as mount for bipod). I would like to find a 'rail mount' mono pod for the stock (that doesn't cost a lot). But, for the time being the fore grip stick will work ( or a sand bag).

Got the shim kit, worked great. Have decided to keep the buffer spring to help keep the bolt closed (read a few articles about the bolt creeping back when fired without spring pressure. Lantac says that they have a special spring assy, reduced pull force when operating bolt, but keeps significant pressure on the BCG to seat it and keep it there.

I seriously would like some extended warmer weather so I wouldn't have to take my snowblower to the range to cut a lane to shoot!

Edited by talonhead

That is sweet !

Congratulations.

Thanks guys!

Really would like to get to the range, but we got 8" more Sun/Mon. Another 2" tonight, now s it's raining. Another 10-12" expected Thursday. Went and cleared the roof of my 5th wheel RV an brought the LP tanks back to the house tonight. Man that got wet fast!

Y'all take care.

Mike

Added pics of bolt knobs to album.

MikeH

Nice looking rifle and gear.

Greg

Just got off the phone with Jim over at Quality Arms in Idaho, looks like I may be ponying up for an Ambi Gen2 billet upper. This will allow me to set up in the lefty position (also left eject) and operate the bolt with the right. Jim brought up a point that I hadn't thought of- the dual ejection ports will make it easy to load those longer than mag rounds.

May have to get another and mate my Beo barrel to it (later, down the road). He says the port is already big enough.

Have interest from a machinist on another forum in making an extended stud for this build. This is so I can mate an oversized standard bolt knob to the BCG where my very short side charger knob screws in. As this is a single shot, there are no issues with of the reciprocating bolt. Just pull and let go!

MikeH

Edited by talonhead

?......

Have interest from a machinist on another forum in making an extended stud for this build. This is so I can mate an oversized standard bolt knob to the BCG where my very short side charger knob screws in. As this is a single shot, there are no issues with of the reciprocating bolt. Just pull and let go!

MikeH

Pics added to album for bolt knob

MikeH