FEENIX

AMMO: DO NOT USE IN PORTED BARRELS/RECOIL COMP

I purchased the ammo below ...

1224141439_resized_zpsd1ad9538.jpg

... but didn't find out later that I couldn't used it in my firearm because it has a ported barrel. Just got and haven't had a chance to shot it yet.

1225141833_resized_zpsb8efdd6e.jpg

I was able to return it yesterday without any problem because the LGS didn't know themselves. I'm looking for hands on experience or more insight on this issue.

Somebody posted this on another forum ...

On the ported barrel warning, found this comment on a forum someplace else.

[blue] Posted Jul. 14 2011 - 06:47 PM
In case anyone was interested, here is their reply:

Mr. ---: the rifling may cut the jacket material and eject it out of the port with the generated gas from firing.

Shoot Straight!
Coy Getman
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
CCI/Speer Sr. Technical Coordinator
(866) 286-7436 [/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=4][/blue]

I have my son a ported Glock 21 SF in .45 ACP for his 21st birthday and he had shot thousands of ammo (various brands normally the cheapest he can get) without any issues. However, I am not sure if this is one of them.

I have some Winchesters in 165 and 180 FMJs that I guess I'll just have to shot and monitor safely.

Thank you in advance for your support.

That is weird, I would think it is a legal department cya as I don't think their jacketed bullets would be any different than others. I would think lead would be worse.

I've never heard of a truly jacketed bullet causing an issue and I've been around more than two ported barrels over the years. We've seen it blow the plated type bullet jacket material out but they aren't anything other than coated lead. We shoot lead through comped guns all the time and this is nothing new. You do have to clean it periodically. A Shuman (sp) barrel is problematic with all the holes if shooting lead and they tell you to always shoot jacketed pills.

I figure if I don't have my face over the ports I'll be pretty safe of any jacketed materila coming out. A speed rock could be an issue but then it is no matter what kind of bullet and compenstor you are shooting.

I'm going witha CYA statement from the law dogs on this.

Greg

Like hzhardy said, looks like a CYA statement to me.

Factory Glock barrels aren't rifled either, they use a polygonal bore - no sharp cutting edges like lands and grooves.

I've never heard of anything like this either, does sound like CYA.

Factory Glock barrels aren't rifled either, they use a polygonal bore - no sharp cutting edges like lands and grooves.

I've never heard of anything like this either, does sound like CYA.

Yes I agree on the CYA issue and the rifling on my son's Glock being octagonal.

Glockoctagonalrifling_zpsd98493b8.jpg

Thanks!