AR15Armory.com

Another new guy, blah blah blah

Dude Abides

First of all, I want to say thank to everyone who is willing to help us newbies get educated in the world of AR rifles. I, for one, find this thread to be invaluably insightful and am truly appreciative of all the advice. All you readers of this post have undoubtedly forgotten more than I will ever learn about ARs, and I feel fortunate to benefit from a fraction of your experience and knowledge.

So, here's where I stand. I just bought an Anderson stripped lower and a PSA MOE QMA lower parts kit. I want to build an economical tactical style AR. Please keep in mind that I have absolutely no knowledge apart from some online research. I am doing this because I've been interested for awhile and Uncle Sam says I can, for now. I was thinking about getting a PSA fully assembled upper, but I would really like to have a MI Gen 2 SS free float hand guard. And, I've decided on a gas platform. Basically, if I were to assemble my own upper receiver and barrel (not penciled), I don't know which would accommodate the Midwest rail to keep me within a relatively affordable range. Additionally, I don't know anything about BCGs or charging handles, except that I would need them and better quality is preferable.

Anyways, I think that will get me a good start. Please refrain from making derogatory comments on the Anderson lower, if you are so inclined. It's been purchased, it's in my possession, and it's being used, so that's that. I'm just excited to get started on this project and am looking forward to your suggestions.

First of all, I want to say thank to everyone who is willing to help us newbies get educated in the world of AR rifles. I, for one, find this thread to be invaluably insightful and am truly appreciative of all the advice. All you readers of this post have undoubtedly forgotten more than I will ever learn about ARs, and I feel fortunate to benefit from a fraction of your experience and knowledge.

So, here's where I stand. I just bought an Anderson stripped lower and a PSA MOE QMA lower parts kit. I want to build an economical tactical style AR. Please keep in mind that I have absolutely no knowledge apart from some online research. I am doing this because I've been interested for awhile and Uncle Sam says I can, for now. I was thinking about getting a PSA fully assembled upper, but I would really like to have a MI Gen 2 SS free float hand guard. And, I've decided on a gas platform. Basically, if I were to assemble my own upper receiver and barrel (not penciled), I don't know which would accommodate the Midwest rail to keep me within a relatively affordable range. Additionally, I don't know anything about BCGs or charging handles, except that I would need them and better quality is preferable.

Anyways, I think that will get me a good start. Please refrain from making derogatory comments on the Anderson lower, if you are so inclined. It's been purchased, it's in my possession, and it's being used, so that's that. I'm just excited to get started on this project and am looking forward to your suggestions.

I will get a lot of flak over this but for a new AR owner I would definitely stay away from PSA. You don't need the possible headaches that could come with a PSA upper.

Don't know your budget but you do want the MI handgaurds.

Take a look a JSE surplus. http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar15uppers-readytoship.aspx They have a quite a few uppers in many configurations with many of them coming with MI SS gen 2 handgaurds.

Every upper they sell they test fire to ensure it cycles properly.

I have done business with them several times and they have some of the best customer service in the business. If you call them thay actually pick up the phone....every time!!!

If you were familiar already with AR's then I would say roll the dice with PSA but not as a noob....just my opinion.

I will get a lot of flak over this but for a new AR owner I would definitely stay away from PSA. You don't need the possible headaches that could come with a PSA upper.

Don't know your budget but you do want the MI handgaurds.

Take a look a JSE surplus. http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar15uppers-readytoship.aspx They have a quite a few uppers in many configurations with many of them coming with MI SS gen 2 handgaurds.

Every upper they sell they test fire to ensure it cycles properly.

I have done business with them several times and they have some of the best customer service in the business. If you call them thay actually pick up the phone....every time!!!

If you were familiar already with AR's then I would say roll the dice with PSA but not as a noob....just my opinion.

PSA is not fast, but they do deliver.

There is an offset to good price.

Ask and you shal recieve

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/16-mid-chrome-lined-premium-ss12g2-blem-rifle-kit-ready-for-duty.html

All you need to finish the entire gun

You will even get an extra parts kit for your next build

That would be a good choice to finish off the lower!

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and great suggestions. Ninemile, I took a look at those JSE uppers and they have some that appear to be exactly what I'd want at a price I'm willing to pay, too! I especially like that they come with a Midwest rail, mil spec BCG and charging handle. I'm just a little hesitant because this is the first I have ever heard of them, not that I'm some industry expert by any means. In fact, I'm very much a noob but I'm learning quickly. Thanks again, everyone. I'll post more questions as they come to me.

On my fourth build with an Anderson lower and upper. Nothing wrong with PSA other than the fact sometimes customer service and slow delivery. The only things I would advise you to invest in are a good roll pin set

here is a decent starter set that comes with a storage pouch

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Roll-Pin-Punch-Set/dp/B003L7HOMG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420385163&sr=8-4&keywords=ar15+roll+pins

for holding the barrel to put on the barrel on You can get it cheaper at Brownells but they are on back order there now.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Brownells_AR15_Barrel_Extension_Torque_Tool_p/brn-080-000-637.htm?CartID=1

a hammer that won't mar the finish I have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094EH72M/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1420385625&sr=1&keywords=hammer

I also have a small dead blow hammer

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004UDMU?psc=1

Edited by gshayd

Welcome to the Armory

Nothing wrong with that Anderson lower, I have built more than a dozen of their lowers with zero issues or problems.

Upper well I am not so inclined to endorse what was linked to you.

Bolt is no good and a big negative, the 8620 is carrier grade steel not Bolt steel. Your Bolt should be manufactured from 9310 or 158.

Blackhawk well they were ones that were big time vietnam and china parts makers, yes they are slowly starting to come back to the USA with their parts and filling walmart shelves with USA made stuff or at least that is what their packaging states, but once you cheap out it is hard to come back.

Here is a much better quality upper all around from MI themselves with the proper BCG and FN Barrel.

MI Upper on Gun Broker

I myself buy the Anderson uppers to go with the lowers if I am not buying a whole upper.You can buy them $49.99 stripped or $ 88.88 pre built direct from the store. You can even buy upper kits and uppers with bcg/charging handle that are RF 85 treated.

When I am putting in roll pins and trigger pins. I use one of the other roll pins to insert through all the holes to keep everything lined up and the right sized one with a hammer to to drive in the roll pin and drive out the other roll pin as it goes in. A couple of times I have purchased the upper and lowers separate when they were on sale and put them together for less than the whole rifle cost. I got caught one time lol... the owner was checking me out and he said you could have bought the whole rifle I asked him what the cost of the whole rifle was he started laughing then because he realized I was paying less buying them separate.

Edited by gshayd

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and great suggestions. Ninemile, I took a look at those JSE uppers and they have some that appear to be exactly what I'd want at a price I'm willing to pay, too! I especially like that they come with a Midwest rail, mil spec BCG and charging handle. I'm just a little hesitant because this is the first I have ever heard of them, not that I'm some industry expert by any means. In fact, I'm very much a noob but I'm learning quickly. Thanks again, everyone. I'll post more questions as they come to me.

Give JSE a call. They will build pretty much anything you want.

What length were you interested in?? 16" 18" 20" middy or carbine, 1/7 1/8 1/9 twist?

Again, great info, everyone. I really appreciate the help and am learning very quickly. I haven't made any purchases lately, but here's where I stand. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

As of right now, I only have the stripped lower and lower parts kit, plus the punches and hammer as suggested above. I figured it would be easier to buy an assembled upper my first time out of the gate. That way I can learn more about the weapon before attempting to build one entirely on my own. I want a mid-length 16" upper, and I've decided on a 15" free floating keymod hand guard. I really like the Midwest Ind. Anything made by BCM seems to be a little more expensive than I was willing to spend. It's looking like I'd need to buy a receiver and barrel assembly, then add the keymod hand guard, but I don't know anything about how that's done or if it's even realistic to think I can do it. Furthermore, Nwatson99 above mentioned the quality of the steel. Again, that's all new to me, but I appreciate the heads up.

My next issue is with the buffer and buttstock. Basically, I don't know much about them apart from the fact that the bolt is forced into the buffer tube during cycling and that I definitely want to get an adjustable buttstock. A friend also insists on mil-spec over anything else. It seems to be MagPul this and MagPul that, but I don't know what else is out there or where to buy. I looked at Hogue and they looked pretty cool. But I just don't know.

We'll talk optics later. I was hoping to get some suggestions on these things first. Thanks again, everyone.