Chuy

I've got a Spike's Tactical Upper

I am putting a build together and I have a stripped upper & lower from Spike's Tactical. I have read on some other forums that BHW barrels are very tight fit...sometimes too tight with uppers from Spike's. Does anyone have some advice/experience with combination?

Thanks!

Have you actually tried fitting them? Mine have all fit well (but none are Spike's uppers). Snug fits are always good, but if you have trouble actually getting the barrel to seat into the upper, you can do the following, depending on how tight the fit:

Heat the upper in an oven (not microwave :bignono: ) at about 275'F for 20 minutes. Then slide the barrel in while holding the upper in an oven mitt. If it is still too tight (or you'd rather just go for it) place the barrel in the freezer for a couple of hours before heating the upper.

Additionally, you may as well check the upper receiver face to see if it is square. If not square, lapping only takes a few minutes with a tool readily available from either Brownel's or MidwayUSA. Lapping the face will ensure a solid, true alignment of barrel to upper. Note that lapping an upper receiver only trues the face and does NOT increase the inner diameter where the barrel extension is inserted.

Hope this helps...

The BHW extensions are made by BAT. They are the industry standard size. I have found some uppers to have a tunnel that is under 1.00 inches. They had to be lapped open enough to except the extension. This was not just on BHW barresl BTW. The hot and cold trick works well BTW.

Greg

just built an ar with a spike upper/lower and had zero issues with BHW barrels fitment. Also built an Anderson upper/lower with zero fitment issues. Good to go from my experience.

• Like 1

I've got a Spikes upper mated to a BHW barrel and had zero issues.

• Like 1

I had to bang on my BHW with a rubber mallet to get it into a BCM upper. Super tight fit, no wiggle, almost felt tight enough to use without a barrel nut. Few taps with the mallet and it seated fine, could not twist it because of the lug, thats how I got it down to the lug, just gentle side to side twists until the lug slipped into the groove.

I had to bang on my BHW with a rubber mallet to get it into a BCM upper. Super tight fit, no wiggle, almost felt tight enough to use without a barrel nut. Few taps with the mallet and it seated fine, could not twist it because of the lug, thats how I got it down to the lug, just gentle side to side twists until the lug slipped into the groove.

That's not uncommon.

I've had to do the same more than once.