cmatera

6 x 45 brass forming problems

Everyone said how easy it was to form brass for the 6 x 45. Got a set of Forster BR dies, screwed them in for a light camover-crushed (downward) neck. keep raising up depriming pin,- necks look like a tiny fraction of an inch is flared. Some almost have a wide front , bulge on the shoulder, and an undercut that looks like the untouched .223 neck. I've ruined about 20 cases already. Anyone have any ideas?

I use a tapered mandrel and an adapter I ordered from Sinclair I think it is manufactured by KMI. lube it and set the stop I generally do this before full length resizing in my Redding 223 bushing dies that hold a .26X" bushing. Sorry I don't remember the exact size of the bushing. However what you are describing could be a lube issue or simply adjustment. the expander needs to be placed well below the the shoulder in the die , not low enough to touch the bottom of the case. Also I have on occasion mixed sized 223 in with 6x45 ,when loading boattail bullets I have had shells that look a little funny, as the necks were not expanded beyond the bullet. they fire formed just fine.

Paul

I should have added Post a picture someone will have seen the problem before.

Paul

Reading the description of the Forster BR 6X45mm die says it has a elevated expanding button.

I only have a Forster BR bullet seating die for 6X45mm. I'm not familiar with Forster's BR E-Z out expander.

It sounds like you need to lower the sizing button.

This is my set up. Redding Type S .223 bushing die with a .17-6mm taper sizing button.

IMG_2586_zps3ae67a46.jpg

Glenn

I think I figured it out. I had to lower the sizer button. The instructions said the dies were adjusted at the factory and NOT to touch the setting. They lied.

I think I figured it out. I had to lower the sizer button. The instructions said the dies were adjusted at the factory and NOT to touch the setting. They lied.

Well it wasn't on the Internet so it could have been a lie. There is no way in the world for a factory to adjust a die for every user. To illustrate that a guy at the priosn I retired from went elk hunting with some of the coworkers. he shot at an elk three times and missed at around 100 yards. Now come to find out it was one of those combo deals that said they were sighte din at the factory. I figure Mr. Magoo sighted his in.

I didn't have time to get back on this earlier but I had a suspicion it was the epander position. I prefer to use the Sinclair expander to neck mine up though I will use my Hornady 6X45's to make brass if pushed for time. I can set them both up on my Dillons and expand first then resize the case if I am using fired 223 brass. If it is new I just expand and load.

Greg

The brass now looks good. Just ordered my barrel at 20% off using the coupon available this week only. Have all the stuff to assemble my ar when it arrives, as well as 58gr VMax's and powders/primers. I was told 6-8 weeks. For once, I may in some small way, look forward to tax day April 15.

The brass now looks good. Just ordered my barrel at 20% off using the coupon available this week only. Have all the stuff to assemble my ar when it arrives, as well as 58gr VMax's and powders/primers. I was told 6-8 weeks. For once, I may in some small way, look forward to tax day April 15.

That's a Hoot! :)

Last April 15th was when my 18" 6X45mm barrel came in.

Glad you got the die situation handled.

Glenn