AR15Armory.com

18" midlength American 30 range day.

geepee3

Range day here in partly sunny Florida. :boogie:

IMG_2844_zps0ec85e3d.jpg

First time out with the American 30 upper I assembled.

Did a mini break in to the barrel while getting the scope sighted in.

Shot mostly Lapua 123 gr. FMJ's with SSA and FC brass using Reloader 7 and H4198 powders and BR-4 primers with the SSA and the FC were pulls that came with AR marked primers.

I had put together nosler 125 balistic tip and 110 Varmageddon loaded cartridges. But only fired a few because of pressure signs.

I had them loaded with Reloader 7 and Accurate Arms 2200 powder.

I had loaded these at or slightly less than the information Greg had given me. First two shots of each looked fine. but after that pressure signs. So I will be pulling bullets.

I definitely need to rethink my powder choices with the 18" midlength barrel. Powder I used is all burned up before the projectile leaves the barrel.

I have the cleanest flash suppressor I have ever had after 60 rounds down range. I ran a Q-tip up and down the prongs and into the throat and only got a little black smudge.

So besides all that, how did she shoot.

How's this?

IMG_2846_zps1784a463.jpg

IMG_2847_zpse3d9db03.jpg

Not bad for FMJ's. Operator could use a little tuning.

Rifle went BANG!! when I pulled the trigger and the bolt locked back on the last round.

The FC pull downs I mentioned in the reloading section worked out fine.

All in all, today was a good learning experience.

And I will go on from here.

Thanks,

Glenn

Thank you guys!

I have a few other powders to try out for my rifle configuration.

Already processed the brass I shot. Here is how they form up.

IMG_2849_zps84e3a499.jpg

Left,Once fired SSA brass, sized and ready for round 2. Right, SSA brass ready for its first go round.

The once fired cases have a grain of water more capacity now.

Again, Thank you.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Another day at the range.

Looks like Hodgdon H4198 right now is working the best.

Even with the 18" barrel I'm still at the precipice of breaking over the 2500 fps average mark. Been moving slowly on this trying different powders again. I will be sticking with H4198 for the next round.

The fastest H4198 five round group had an average velocity of 2496 fps. The SD of that group was 2.44fps. This was with once fired FC brass, Lapua 123 gr. FMJ bullet and CCI BR-4 primer.

I only wish I was shooting as well as that SD. Was off my game all day.

IMG_2864_zps0b0c39c4.jpg

This was with the Lapua 123 gr FMJ's at 100 yards. This groups SD deserved better. :sad:

It will be a couple of weekends till I'm shooting again.

Will keep you updated.

Glenn

• 1 month later...

Exellent post, looking forward to more results. I really enjoy reading results/ seeing results from real world behind the rifle bench time. I'm a big fan of the BlackHole Weaponry barrels, especially the .264 LBC for hunting applications. Very few things in the gun/ cartridge world really catch my attention. The American 30 I find very attractive, the real world velocities matched with a 125gr Accubond, scream great performance from a AR for hunting here where I'm at in the Northwest. For shots in the timber, which average from point blank to a max of 200 yards. The American 30 looks as if I couldn't be better suited.

I'm waiting on a 18" rifle length gas American 30 to be delivered. I'm going to work with it a bit and if everything works as I hope. I will be leaving the BHW .264 LBC's in the safe come August and will be bear, deer and elk hunting with the American 30.

Exellent post, looking forward to more results. I really enjoy reading results/ seeing results from real world behind the rifle bench time. I'm a big fan of the BlackHole Weaponry barrels, especially the .264 LBC for hunting applications. Very few things in the gun/ cartridge world really catch my attention. The American 30 I find very attractive, the real world velocities matched with a 125gr Accubond, scream great performance from a AR for hunting here where I'm at in the Northwest. For shots in the timber, which average from point blank to a max of 200 yards. The American 30 looks as if I couldn't be better suited.

I'm waiting on a 18" rifle length gas American 30 to be delivered. I'm going to work with it a bit and if everything works as I hope. I will be leaving the BHW .264 LBC's in the safe come August and will be bear, deer and elk hunting with the American 30.

How big are your elk and bear there?

I don't think I'd be using the American 30 for them around here.

Ooh, they can get plenty big. When you've killed enough big game animals with cartridges rangeing from 6.5 Grendel to 450 Ultra Magnum. It doesn't take long to realize holes kill things. I've killed black bears with handguns, I'm sure the American 30 is up to the task.

Thanks guys.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend after covering a few weekends of on-call plumbing emergencies.

There are a few issues I need to iron out. Most of them self inflicted.

Greg has been a big help.

Will let you know how things turn out.

Glenn

P.S. I will also be sighting in my BHW 18" 6X45 upper. I took the scope off it to use on the A-30.

I had picked up a set of HK416 diopter sights when I first assembled the rifle but never used them.

IMG_2651_zps55d5b37d.jpg

So we'll see how they do.

Ooh, they can get plenty big. When you've killed enough big game animals with cartridges rangeing from 6.5 Grendel to 450 Ultra Magnum. It doesn't take long to realize holes kill things. I've killed black bears with handguns, I'm sure the American 30 is up to the task.

Sounds like you have the skills to make a good shot. Looking at the ballistics of the round, it's a good one, but still less energy than a .308. More like a souped up 30-30.

For myself, I just think it's more ethical to use a more powerful cartridge on larger tough game animals. Many deer have been taken with .22LR, but that doesn't mean there isn't a better tool for the job.

For myself, I think that round will be limited to deer and smaller game. I'm not knocking the round. If Greg's excited, so am I. In fact I am waiting for my barrel to arrive.

Again, just my opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Fun day at the range today.

Forming up shoulders using Sierra 110 gr. HP bullets.

Trying out a new lower, Aero Precision Gen. 2 and D.D. flash hider.

And giving Accurate LT-30 powder a good run.

Of course, the rifle picture;

IMG_2912_zpsxxuozf1z.jpg

I ended installing a RRA Varmint trigger group, 3.5-4 pound pull weight.

Everything seemed to click today.

No chrono on the cartridges because I was just trying to form up cases.

But they did shoot great with the LT-30 powder.

Five shot group at 100 yards.

IMG_2916_zpsbdgqlarq.jpg

Six shot group at 100 yards.

IMG_2915_zpsuixug7qa.jpg

As per usual with me, the fourth or fifth shot outside the group.

It was nice to have everything work out today.

Thanks for everyone's help.

The journey continues,

Glenn