HotWire

Upper/Barrel mating

As a new AR guy, my biggest concern is finding an upper receiver and barrel that will work well together (proper headpacing).

Is it generally assumed that parts from the same manufacturer will be fine? I have already completely built up an Anderson lower and would like to match the upper to it.

My plans for barrel are Mid-length gas in 5.56, 1-8, stainless or chrome-lined, A2 or Medium profile.

Is there an affordable option out there that will mate well to an Anderson Upper?

I plan on an adjustable gas block and detachable A2 front sight.

I'm still considering the drop-in VS FF handguard decision.

Thanks!

Edited by HotWire

PS. My only real reason to have an Anderson Upper is to ensure good fit and asthetics. I'm will to consider others if this is a non-issue.

Any upper receiver should fit. Not a problem with todays standardization.

Asthetics? Sometimes, even from the same manufacturer, uppers and lowers are not an exact match.

If the mismatched colors keep you up at night, send them to be CeraKoted before you assemble. Any color you want and you will be happy with the way it looks.

If the mismatched colors keep you up at night, send them to be CeraKoted before you assemble. Any color you want and you will be happy with the way it looks.

Not really even the color issue, but the fitment. With a machining background, I am concerned with the quality of parts fit. If this is truely a non-issue as I am learning then I am happy to buy any brand of quality.

Edited by HotWire

I am a huge advocate of Bravo Company. They are not the cheapest, but the quality is phenomenal. Their products exceed mil-spec and are bulletproof.

Spikes Tactical is second on my list. Good quality, mil-spec and very reasonable prices.

But, you know what they say about opinions, right?

Are you going to use a suppressor?

If not, there's no need for an adjustable gas block.

16" mid-length is a good system. Gas pressure and dwell time are very good.

Chrome lined barrel and chamber are fine unless you just want a SS barrel.

I think the new BCM Key-Mod Rail is the future. Innovative, lightweight and durable. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR-KeyMod-Handguard-s/184.htm

I have an A2 CAR-15. The fixed carry handle limits the use of most optics. If you like the look of the carry handle, I might suggest an A3 with the carry handle attachment.

Most importantly! This is your rifle, there are many like it but, this one is yours! Build it EXACTLY like you want.

I'm a fan of the BHW barrel that you posted. Not so much a fan of the site you linked it from.

They have problems labeling this correctly. That description says h-bar, which would be a heavy, but the picture shows a standard profile. There fluting pics are al screwed up too

They do come with a free upper reciever but I have it from a good source that they may be seconds and fitment may be an issue.

If it were me I would order the anderson upper, a BHW barrel from BHW dirrectly (10% discoint for being a member here) and get the adjustable block from BTE

OH WAIT, THAT IS WHAT I DID!!

18" mid length gas standard profile with adjustable block

402B3927-5026-430E-9F52-1669FDA70D06-566

It will do this all day

22F56A5E-73A2-4BA6-B4B5-7EA5F2F78EC7-352

I'd definitely go with Black Hole Weaponry.

I've built no less than 5 rifles with their barrels and they are absolutely tack drivers! You can pay more, but you won't get a more accurate barrel!

BCM is great quality as well, but for me, I pick BHW.

As mentioned, any in spec upper will fit fine.

The lines may or may not match up even with the same manufacturer.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the feedback. I will probably buy the Anderson upper continue the barrel search. Also, A2 front sight has dropped off the list as I might go FF forend. It seems the good modular drop=ins cost almost as much as the free floats. Or am I mssing something? http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/MI-18-SS-Series-Drop-In-Mid-Length-Two-Piece-Ha-p/mi-18ss.htm

Go free float. With key-mod and all the new mounting systems you can make it as clean as you like. Free float has many advantages and very few disadvantages. Indexing/timing can get a bit tricky but well worth the extra fiddling around to have a barrel free of accuracy robbing added parts.

FF has definitely come a long way since the old cheese-grater quad-rails.

Still, a lot can be said for an old fashioned handguard.

hgrdml_zpsppckjfx5.gif