So...

I attend a Krav class several times a week and have for the past 2 years. A buddy and I took out some newbies out a few months ago for trigger time and they had a blast. We talked about actually offering a day of range time and helping "train" the newer people who have little or no experience. It was very simple instruction on safety first and fundamentals. They all got much better by the end of the day.

Now- I've been asked by a few others about doing something like that again.

The thing is- I have next to no formal training, just what I've learned and observed. I'm by no means the match of many members here.

What say you? I'd like to host another day of range time and helping people out with fundamentals. I feel like a poser though because I have no formal training. I'm not an "operator" or can claim on the job experience.

So what if you are not an 'operator'. Safety and basic fundamentals are easy enough to teach and can be very gratifying to the mentor.

It's not like you are teaching room clearing or small unit tactics....

I say: Get it on!

Ditto, people need to know safe firearm handling and fundamentals of shooting. You may save somebody's life someday because of it.

I say go for it. We all teach the friend who's new to shooting the fundamentals of safety. If you don't teach them who will?

Now the student becomes the master. :snicker: I do that a lot. I think as long as you don't claim to be something you are not and are bring new blood into the fold get it on!

• Like 1

Now the student becomes the master. :snicker: I do that a lot. I think as long as you don't claim to be something you are not and are bring new blood into the fold get it on!

Well said.

Teaching new folks and helping them improve is very gratifying. You dont need to be a pro door kicker or gun master to help somebody get better. We all help folks from time to time. Keep it up. Now on the other said you may want to look into getting certified as a NRA or other instructor.

Go for it. As long as your skill set is above theirs, they are getting value.

I would also suggest you take a class here or there from the professionals. A lot can be gleaned from taking a class or two!

I would also suggest you take a class here or there from the professionals. A lot can be gleaned from taking a class or two!

I'd like to forgo most gun purchases this year and next and take classes instead. Not a lot though now that I check the schedule in state :(

Edited by Jaeger48

I'd like to forgo most gun purchases this year and next and take classes instead. Magpul does have pistol courses in Yakima

I didn't know they taught pistol up there. I do know the SPR/Designated rifleman course taught by Caylen is top notch! I want to take his precision rifle course next!

Nothing wrong with teaching at all. Your skill level is important as obviously you have that. Sticking to basics as in safety, gun manipulation and basic marksmanship you will be doing a great service to the new guys.

Taking a class or two from the high speed low drag guys is always a nice fleshing out for a non-beginning shooter. Fresh ideas and approaches is always a plus. We have Grasshopers and Masters. You cannot be the latter without being the former.

I personally believe as you grow and pass on what you have learned along the way one should become a Chameleon. Compiling all the skill sets, melding them and winnowing through the chafe will really result in a well balanced approach Your going to give them the background. As time passes you can help them with the color palate as yours becomes more varied.

Greg

This. You could cruiz south and take a class or two at OFA ( http://oregonfirearmsacademy.com). Their classes are excellent. Talk about a FUN day! After you take a couple of their classes you will have many additional skills to teach. And a new understanding of safety!

That you even question it and share it in this setting shows you are a man of integrity. That's a darn good start. All future advanced gun handling should be built on good solid fundamentals, concentrate on them.

Yup exactly right think about it. With anything in life if you are better than someone at something they can learn from you and gain knowledge from you.