AR15Armory.com

I was checking the e-mail and I got a delivery notice from BHW

gshayd

I remember seeing somewhere where it was supposed to come with a gauge for reloading?

Yes. One of these to help set the dies off the shell holder.

IMG_2836_zps485786ae.jpg

With a set of instructions.

Did you open both sides of the shipping tube to make sure it didn't get stuck?

Glenn

Yes All I got was the barrel, a BHW sticker and two invoices no die or instructions..... I looked down in the bottom with a light and there was nothing else in there.

Edited by gshayd

Yes All I got was the barrel, a BHW sticker and two invoices no die or instructions..... I looked down in the bottom with a light and there was nothing else in there.

Give BHW a call. They will take care of you.

Hopefully Greg will chime in and tell you how far of the shell holder to set the die.

Glenn

The recommendation is to give BHW a call on Monday AM. I'm sure they wil get it fixed.

Now the down and dirty on making cases without the set up gage. I had this posted somewhere but I'm juggling a large number of threads so I do forget where just not how.

I'm using HORNADY dies but RCBS are fine too.

Scrw the die in to touch the shell holder. Turn the die out 0.100 Measure the decapping stem top off your tool head and then keep turning out until it hits 0.100. Lube a up a case and runn'er through. Trim to 1.620. (do three or four.) Make sure you lube INSIDE the necks.

Drop the case in the chamber with the upper of the gun and try to close the BCG on it. It probably won't go. Turn the die in 1/8 turn and keep sizing the case and testing. When you get one that the bolt close on smooth as cat guts and EXTRACTS EASILY make another one. Tat one works? Good. Grab another 6.8 case. Back the die off 1/8 turn an try again. Were you tight? If not then keep backing out a tad each time. We are hillting the sweet spot of shoulder movement. At the point you hit hard chambering/extraction turn it back in to the last place it worked and lock it down.

You have your HORNADY tool in hand right? Note the shoulder height with a 350 HS insert. Write that down for later set up on your dies if you need to. Make up FIVE cases. Check the distance to lands with your Sinclair tool and load up five bullets using a starting 7.62X39 load keeping at least 0.010 out of the lands. Go shoot those and when you have your cases you will have a MAX on the shoulder height and adjust from there. You want 0.003-0.005 of HS room on your cases.

In reality all the gage does is save you about ten minutes. This is how we do all our wildcat case fitting. All we want is some to get actual chamber sizes on the first loadings.

Greg