AR15Armory.com

American 30 and the 125gr Sierra PH.ppp

BiggerHammer

I just finished shooting 100 of the Sierra 125gr Pro-Hunters through my 18" rifle length gas barrel. Feed, function and extraction were perfect, not single issue. I did my shooting for the most part in three shot groups at 100, 200 & 300 yards. Groups were excellent at 100 yards, 200 yards averaged usually around 2" with some coming in at just over half MOA.

300 yards was a whole different story, I couldn't get those 125's to shoot tight for the life of me! Every group shot at 300 was 4" or so and all over the place. No pattern whatsoever, spuradic groups to say the least. I only used the Sierra's to get a base for reloading and brass forming. I'm a huge Nosler fan so I will be switching to the 125gr Nosler Accubond. I'm thinking there is some type of stability issue with the Sierra 125gr bullets past 200 yards????

I know the Nolser are a longer bullet for weight. I have AA2200 and H335 , I guess I'll run them both with the Noslers. I tried both these powders with the 125gr Sierra's and got the same erratic groups at 300 yards.

Here's one of my 3 shot groups with the Sierra 125gr PH's @ 100yards.

FullSizeRender_zps79e50ffa.jpg

Edited by BiggerHammer

Nicely Done Sir!!!

Did you get a chance to chronograph the 125 gr. Sierra bullets?

I just picked up some Accurate LT-30 powder.

Was able to try it last weekend at the 7.62X39 top load and it shot well. Need to work up loads for it and run it through the chrony.

Thank you for the information.

Glenn

I tried the Nosler 125gr Accubonds with 32gr of AA2200. I could have done better at 200 and 300 yards with a full choke in my goose hunting shotgun and a load of double BB. NO JOKE! I'm a die hard .264 LBC guys, I think this barrel, brass and dies are going to hit the "For sale" forums soon. I may play with it a bit more.

Thanks for the update.

To bad the performance of the projectiles you wanted to use aren't working out for you.

I have had a couple of bumps in the road too with this cartridge, but I'm trundling along.

Thanks again for your report.

Glenn

bh - It sounds to me like classic under stabilization. Not being at all familiar with this cartridge, I have no sense for how hot your 34 grain load of H335 is. Have you chronographed any of these loads? My gut feel is that they may just want to go a little faster to get the RPM's up.

By the way, I'm right there with you with your sentiments on the 264 LBC. Mine gets to get out of the safe to play most often.

Edited by NugginFutz

Please see board rules, you do not have enough posts to list items for sale on the Armory. Also, we do not allow circumventing the equipment exchange for sale items.

Edited by jchtrh
Rule violation for equipment sales

I got sent a target shot this AM with the Nosler Ballistic Tip 125 over RL7, found to be the best powder so far for fill and speed on this bullet BTW. Five shots 100 yards. Velocity right on 2700 I don't recall the exact number. This was what I got on a text while I was out doing development work on a do-all magazine.

IMG950398_resized_zpspbwd3eyy.jpg

The target after application of the calipers shows .460-.308= 0.152 CTC.

IMG_0399_resized_zpsdmnxlc7f.jpg

The H335 load above came out of my data banks. Velocity for a 16" barrel was 2551. I shot a 0.271 with it in my rifle.

Greg

• Like 1