Janitor

Show us photos of your reloading area

Hi people! I love some of those reloading benches I've been seeing here but I think not everyones pic is showing up on my screen unless they just don't have one. I'm a new member so I can't post a pic of my reloading bench till I get the 10 post in. This is my second one now, 9 more to go. Can someone tell me how to post the pic? thanks........ twoguns.

No problem, you need a host to put the picture on. Simply google "Free picture hosting" or use someone like Image Shack or Photo Bucket. Typically its just register then follow the directions. Make sure you bookmark where you hosted your pictures so you can do more later.

Once your picture is on the net, all you have to do is copy its location (http://www XXX) then do a post here, hit the reply button then hit the little picture image under the fonts screen (the little square) then paste in your picture location.

When you hit the "Add Reply" button your image will show up in the thread.

Tj

I have a small home, so room is at a premium. I used a 60.00 butchers block from craigstlist. I have two Dillon 550s, one for large primer work and one for small primer.

newbench.jpg

I'll resurrect this as I know I posted my reloading room but it seems to have disappeared. Maybe some new pics are out there of you alls new rooms?

ReloadRoom1.jpg

ReloadRoom3.jpg

I spend most of my time in here. Loading or playing on the computer. It gets me a lot of nice quiet time to prepare for the range and just explore the realm of loading.

The first pic shows my Dillon 300's. Together they make up the first Dillon 300 in existence. There were about 300 of them manufactured according to Dillon. I think that might be a low estimate but if that is so I own 1% of the Dillon production for that model. I got them in the early 80's when I got into IPSC shooting. They are dedicated to 38/9MM, 45 and 223. The 650 is set up to load 223 based cartridges like the 223, 6X45 204 and 20 Tactical.

The red presses in each photo are Lyman AA Turrets. I use these for my low run single stage type ammo. When I do load development they get the nod so I can weigh each charge and make the tweaks needed to make the stuff sing. I switched from my first press, an RCBS JR, to the A's in the late 70's when my IHMSA shooting kicked in and I needed 500 rounds a week just for practice and matches.

I have three shot shell loaders on the small bench. Two 600 JR's and a MEC 900G. One of the 600's is set up for 2" 12 gauge shells that I use in IPSC 3 Gun matches in my Benelli. It was purchased just for that purposes so I could gain that "tactical; advantage" that all us shooters edge for. The 9000 was my way to get into Sporting Clays. I found out real fast that buying factory ammo was going to get real high dollar for the 50 round courses we shoot in that little endeavor. I also load my needed copious quantities of dove ammo on it. The second 600 is for 28 gauge. I got a CZ Ringneck when I retired and it has become my go to dove gun thanks to its light weight and ability to kill way out of proportion to its size. A load of #7's seem to work like a charm on the dove and quail here in AZ.

If you look in Pic #2 you can see a brown cabinet under the bench. This was the top of an entertainment center that has doors allowing some semblance of order when I shut them. I hide most of my bullets in this set up and it has been a great help in keeping things in order. I would guess it has at least 35,000 bullets tucked away in various calibers. The 9X21's the wife and I shoot in matches take lots of those little lead pills!!

Shelving and storage is always an issue in reloading rooms. I have a total of 40' of shelves above the benches to hold my 1 pound powder cans, Small quantities of brass and reference material. There is a large book case behind the brown cabinet on the right of Pic #2. I store my loaded rounds there that I have placed in 100 round plastic boxes. The bulk ammo is in ammo cans under the big bench along with tubs brass separated by caliber and , in some cases, the number of firings on that batch of brass. I have several skinny book cases that I use to hold all my dies and a small quantity of ammo like shot shells and 22 mag stuff. I try to make a logical place for like minded equipment and supplies.

Powder storage and primers in bulk are kept in a converted double closet that lets me segregate those for safety. Those eight pounders take up a lot of space on shelves so I had to move them from the main room shelves. The closet also stores my leather gear/range bags and the multitude of magazines needed to keep those auto loaders running.

I hope you enjoyed the tour.

Greg

Edited by GLShooter

Mom can I go play at Gregs house after supper. :)

Upgraded my setup a few weeks back.

ttenb.jpg

2 550s (one for large primer rifle/pistol loading, one for small primer rifle loading) and 1 650 for 9mm loading.

Edited by KellyTTE

Upgraded my setup a few weeks back.

That is a good example of maximizing your space available. Reloading doesn't have to take up a huge space. In the long run the storage of components and the ancillary stuff can get to be a big issue. Tumblers and media separators can be a huge space eater. (Thank goodness for garages!!)

I started with a triple dresser with the press mounted on a 1X8 board. The drawers held all my components and tools. I am afraid that I couldn't even put all my bullets in it now even if the drawers would hold the weight. Reloading books and reference material can also eat up a lot of space. I have two hanging files that I have saved articles on from my shooting magazines that pertain to my interests. I have separated the articles by subject and frequently "review the literature" for insight or possible hints for approaches to new cartridges or techniques.

The ability to have a small primer and a large primer press is a great convenience. The quick change tool heads really add flexibility with little headache. I always hated screwing one die in after removing another on my single stage RCBS JR press. With the Dillons you can go balls to the wall or onsey twosey and still turn out quality rounds.

I'm glad to see some postings on this one as I hope I can learn from the others on the board that might have approached the subject/process in a different manner.

Greg

Nice lava lamp! :laugh:

Thanks it adds ambiance for those intimate loading sessions when I need to wind down, kick back and sip a tall glass of Coca Cola as I brew up some fresh PD misters.

Greg

PS: I went back and edited the pics to explain some more about the room. -- G. :nt:

Thanks it adds ambiance for those intimate loading sessions when I need to wind down, kick back and sip a tall glass of Coca Cola as I brew up some fresh PD misters.

Greg

PS: I went back and edited the pics to explain some more about the room. -- G. :nt:

i kind of figured you had an assembly line going :thumb:

i kind of figured you had an assembly line going :thumb:

The most I've ever had going at once was three presses on a major thrash before a PD trip. I'd really enjoy getting more beginners in there to learn the ropes.

Greg

I will get a pic up next time I do some loading. I live in a Fifth wheel and have to use the table. I do have a 14 foot garage but the drag bike takes up most of that. You guys have some sweet setups!!! Reminds me of when I had a real reloading setup and a real garage!

I do have a shop at the other end of town, but it gets to damp to work in and there is 1 outlet and no lights yet. Got to work on the owner to do some upgrades!!!

Edited by Bansheex

This is my set up. The bench is bolted to the wall and the drawers were added about 6 months ago. What do you guys think? :nt:

100_0404.jpg

100_0401.jpg

100_0405-1.jpg

100_0402.jpg

100_0403.jpg

• Like 1

This is my set up. The bench is bolted to the wall and the drawers were added about 6 months ago. What do you guys think? :nt:

100_0404.jpg

100_0401.jpg

100_0405-1.jpg

100_0402.jpg

100_0403.jpg

Holy crap. Gun bench heaven :thumb:

That is one of the nicest set ups I have seen. I really like the bins with the bullets filling them. Kind of reminds me of the candy stores at the mall that have all the candies in the big bins and you buy them by the pound like Mike & Ike's, M&M's and Jelly Bellies.

Greg

PS: You put a Lava Light on that puppy and you can be retro like me!! :nt:

Edited by GLShooter