Retcop

Ammo Storage

I want to get much if not all of the ammo I now have in my gun safe into an alternate storage unit.

Need something inexpensive that will still slow down a burglar. I am not willing to buy another real safe. Buying a bigger safe is not an option, either. I really like the safe I have now, and it is not small.

All of the sheet metal storage units could be entered with a pry bar in under a minute, IMO.

With the large size of my basement, and the amount of stuff we have stored down there. I was considering putting locks on the ammo cans,

and then using hardened chain or a cable to lock the boxes together, which would make it very heavy and awkward to move them. The cans would be placed where they are well hidden by boxes whose content would not be of interest to a thief. Or, I could run the cable around the metal post of a heavy duty metal shelving unit or around one of the support poles for the basement. Locking the boxes to something would make it harder to hide them though. I figure if the burglar brings a good size bolt cutter with him, I am out of luck in any event, unless I hide the ammo well.

Anyone have some suggestions for me ? There is a lot of experience on this board, and brainstorming is always a good idea.

I guess I should note that the residential burglary rate is very low in my area. It is something to consider, but statistics don't matter if some scumbags decide to target your home while you are not home.

Thanks.

John

Edited by Retcop

Tagged because I have the same problem. I'm interested in other solutions as well.

How about an alarm on the house? I sleep better and feel comfortable leaving my house because of the alarm. I know its not fool proof and a smash and grab could happen but given they response time in my little town is pretty good and I live down a long drive way only one way in and out.......

I have been stocking up a little lately because of prices. No way I could fit it in my safe either. You might scatter it around a little. Some in this room, some in that. Or maybe a German shepherd.

I guess it depends on your budget. Those inexpensive "gun safes" are great for ammo storage. The ones you you see at Walmart for a hundred dollars or so.

Stack-on makes some.

• Like 1

If it were me, I would run steel cable through the lock holes, then crimp the ends. I think you'd be looking at around ten bucks, and it would be more secure than those cheap safes. Even if they had bolt cutters, it would probably take them more time than they would be willing to spend just for some ammo. You can also throw some O2 absorbers into the cans before you seal them. You could even seal it in mylar bags before you put it in the cans, which would protect it even if the rubber gasket on the can dried out and lost its seal. Either way, it would probably last well over a hundred years at room temperature.

I too need more ammo storage. My plan is to remove the parts washer in my garage and put a cheaper safe in it's place. I watch for used safes but forget to look all the time and have missed a few. I do not have many ammo cans and currently my ammo is stacked all over the house......not ideal according to the wife.. :laugh:

Get an old fridge for cheap, (doesn't even have to be a working one) put it in the garage and lock it shut with a chain.

I wouldn't think anyone would look there. Especially if it's chained shut. It'll also avoid major temperature swings if the seal is still good.

Get an old fridge for cheap, (doesn't even have to be a working one) put it in the garage and lock it shut with a chain.

I wouldn't think anyone would look there. Especially if it's chained shut. It'll also avoid major temperature swings if the seal is still good.

They would probably just assume you were really possessive with your beer. :laugh:

• Like 1

Chain, lag bolts and a lock? You said it is a basement, can a part of it be walled off with some heavy duty ctructural components ten locked as an additional barrier?

I like that idea! Deep freezers have a key lock on them as well!

Edited by towtruck

How about an alarm on the house? I sleep better and feel comfortable leaving my house because of the alarm. I know its not fool proof and a smash and grab could happen but given they response time in my little town is pretty good and I live down a long drive way only one way in and out.......

I have been stocking up a little lately because of prices. No way I could fit it in my safe either. You might scatter it around a little. Some in this room, some in that. Or maybe a German shepherd.

Caley the GSD has been gone about 3 years now.

I never worried about anyone coming inside when we were not home.

Momma has a good idea that we want to travel after I retire, so it might be best to wait until after that before we settle down and get a dog.

Son-in-law has a year old sable GSD and my willpower is wavering....

Some good ideas, gentlemen !

Caley the GSD has been gone about 3 years now.

I never worried about anyone coming inside when we were not home.

Momma has a good idea that we want to travel after I retire, so it might be best to wait until after that before we settle down and get a dog.

Son-in-law has a year old sable GSD and my willpower is wavering....

It's tough to live without a dog for sure.

Since I live out in the county, response time can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 or longer.

If it is a hot call, they would probably dispatch University cops or City Cops IF (and that's a big if) they are available to hold down the fort until the county boys can get their.

The University is not that close either, unless I got lucky and they were out checking the University farms.

I have great respect for my county cops, they cover a huge territory and are often spread thin. One riot, one Ranger.

I'm not sure if an audible alarm would do any good unless I got some super loud horn outside, so someone would notice, and then the bad guys could just knock it down.

Whenever I think I've come close to an answer, it just not seem to be worth the money.

A new GSD-yeah, that's the ticket !!!!!