Sign in to follow this  
GIDave

Hornady 10mm proof rounds

I've heard that 10mm proof rounds will instantly, or invariably, destroy the weapon in which it's fired. SAAMI says 10mm pressures are nominal at 37.5K psi.

The questions are:

1. Does anyone know what the pressure is with Hornady 10mm proofs? If yes, what is it?

2. Has anyone ever fired one of these proof rounds through a pistol? Glock, 1911, EAA whatever?

3. Has anyone ever fired one of these proof rounds through a dedicated 10mm rifle? Olympic Arms, Thureon Defense, whatever?

For 2-3, if yes, what happened?

Yes, I know: these proof rounds were meant to push the upper limits of a firearm and will eventually (if not instantly) destroy them. But I believe that some firearms built, or modified, for the 10mm standard SAAMI of 37.5K can withstand the proof round, no sweat.

ummmm...no I like my 10mm.

Proof loads *should* not destroy a firearm instantly. They will create undue stress on a gun that doesn't need to be there. They will increase wear and will batter a gun without any real need, but they shouldn't instantly destroy anything. If you're looking for upper limit performance, I'd consider buying either custom loaded ammunition that is designed to do what you want, or reloading, and staying under listed maximum loads.

Proof Pressures for 10mm are 130% minimum and 140% maximum as set by SAAMI
The formula is based on the Maximum Portable Lot Mean MPLM of 38,700 psi
38,700 x 1.30 = 50,310 psi and 38,700 x 1.40 = 54,180 psi
Minimum and Maximum
50,310 psi - 54,180 psi these would be rounded to 50,500 psi - 54,000 psi