Sign in to follow this  
rick10mm

10mm carry ammo

A heavy solid bullet is best for thick skinned tough game. Double Tap has a 200gr hard cast @ 1300fps. Buffalo Bore makes a 220gr @1200fps. Something along these lines should serve you well.

• Like 1

If it was me I would use 170 hp. Each person has a load that he likes best. Use what you like best.

If it was me I would use 170 hp. Each person has a load that he likes best. Use what you like best.

Usually I would enthusiastically agree with this statement, and you are free to carry whatever you want into bear country.

However, I am having a hard time figuring how a 10mm 170 grain HP at high velocity is good bear medicine.

Most likely the jacket will separate, the bullet will fragment, and you will not get adequate penetration.

OP, stick with the solids, even if they are midget black bear.

• Like 1

yup got to agree with Ret on this one. I would probably go with the Buffalo Bore ammo.

Edited by gshayd

On a human target, yes, but not against an animal that will have you for lunch. You need a tough bullet to go through bone and muscle to get to vital organs.