Zephyr One/Zero

Dan Wesson 'Silverback' in 10mm reviewed

As a FYI, the DW 'Silverback' 1911 is reviewed [10mm version] by Pat Sweeney in the October issue of Handguns. MSRP: $1883 USD.

DW14_Silverback_L-500x335.png

:holycow: I want one !!!

:holycow: I want one !!!

That is easy. Buy one and then buy one for me. :D:

Nice looking pistol, but for a 1911 Clone it is overly priced in my humble opinion...RIA is making 1911 10mm's at half that price so is it worth twice as much for the DW Silver back name. :tap:

Nice looking pistol, but for a 1911 Clone it is overly priced in my humble opinion...RIA is making 1911 10mm's at half that price so is it worth twice as much for the DW Silver back name. :tap:

IF the Silverback is any where near the quality of their Valor then it's definitely worth the money. Don't know alot about the RIA but DWs are at the top of their game for 1911s. Lots of hand fitting and top quality pieces. You normally get what you pay for.

Edited by devil duck

My 10mm RIA works well nice hefty all metal 1911 with a 4.2" barrel. I wouldn't mind the Silverback in my collection either. I am trying out 10mm for the first time and didn't want to spend a was of dough on a pistol. Think this one is going to stick with me.

gallery_24285_275_60543.jpg

Gshayd, brother I wasn't dogging the RIA. The Shadow was saying how DWs were over priced for a 1911 clone (?). My point was DW makes a very fine 1911 with top quality parts and does alot of hand fitting. I agree with your selection, especially for just trying the 10mm for the first time. I've heard nothing but good things about RIA for the money spent.

I can understand both arguments. For someone, not wanting to invest a lot into a 10mm 1911 platform; this is the way to go, plus you can 'build-it' up to your specs. However, an RIA is also not, an STI, Dan Wesson, Ithaca, Fusion, or Wilson pistol. A lot depends on your wallet, and individual wants. There's a lot of economic functionality in a 'bare-bones' Rock Island pistol for sure. If I owned an RIA, I would probably tweak it up with better parts, and still wind-up with a more expensive than stock gun. Just my preference.

I didn't take your remarks as dogging bro. no harm no foul. I was just saying the Silverback was nice but there are alternatives for those who don't have $1800 to invest in a 10mm but want to try it out.

• Like 1

No disrespect to the DW Silver Back is probably a great pistol and fine craftsmanship, prices have been going up on all of them lately.

No disrespect to the DW Silver Back is probably a great pistol and fine craftsmanship, prices have been going up on all of them lately.

None taken, my friend. Everyone has their own individual 'thresholds of pain' so-to-speak. Yes, it is an 'expensive' pistol to be sure.

Great product. Dan Wesson puts out some great things, so does RIA, just on another level. Can't go wrong either way.

Another vote for the quality and craft of Dan Wessons. I had a valor for a good amount of time. That gun was a F-ing lazer. I absolutely loved it. I imagine as time goes by it will be one of my " I never should have got rid of it" guns, but such is life. I traded it for another well regarded 1911 and a ruger revolver that I think has some collectible value in the future. Beautiful piece.

The only other 10mm i have got to shoot was a ported glock. That was a fun pistol. Plenty of power in your hands and with the ports, though absolutely not necessary, made it a complete pussycat.

Been wanting a 10mm on the 1911 platform for a while, I received this from my family on Father's Day. Great gun, I'm impressed with its craftsmanship. Definitely worth the money.

D0F7A982-42BF-44B4-A913-6BF02C86B649_zps

• Like 1