Davinci

Sight in for Home Defense

Looking for recommendations on what range to sight in for home defense. I'm thinking 50 yards but curious what others think. BTW - hello everyone. First post.

First welcome to the armory.

Now for sighting in, what type of sights are you using? For irons a standard 25 yard/meter zero is the by the book basic. zero mag optics like EOTechs or Aimpoints I go with 50 just keep in mind that less than that is going to be a hold over because of height over bore distance. Nothing that training cant overcome. A shot in the low sternum vs mid or high sternum is not going to make any difference to the bad guy. For HD I would not reccomend anything with magnified optics or a scope, in the dark it is going to be difficult to get propertly behind the glass and get a good sight picture especially when split seconds might count.

• Like 1

I'm using iron sights, (sorry should have included in my original post). Thanks for your response RB6. Heading to the range this weekend.

Welcome to the Armory, I zero everything at 50 meters instead of 25m, due to my opinion is my rifles perform better at that distance.

Another question, what ammo are you guys using for home defense? Not reloading yet so looking for recommendations. Thinking 62 grain HP. Barrel has a 1 in 7 twist. Thanks in advance.

Nwatson - Between 25 & 50 yards, how much of a difference are we talking? An inch? I always thought 50 was the standard but I am far from an expert.

Another question, what ammo are you guys using for home defense?

You're lucky enough to be in a suppressor state so for you I recommend go with whatever ammo feeds 100% and is cheap enough to let you buy a suppressor and great electronic muffs. I don't know a lot about shooting competently but I know damn well enough about tinnitus. I know that you don't want it and I know that your family doesn't want it. In the future I would love to blast some wolf gold and some barnaul 62gr soft points through a bunch of crap to see how well they do at barrier penetration. I doubt either of them could possibly compete with high dollar heavy loads, but they're in stock and that counts for a lot.

When you go to the range. Whatever zero you go with, make sure to shoot at 25 and 50 yards/meters and determine the point of impact difference. Also keep in mind it will be different, for different ammo. Not that it should be a big concern, at these distances.

Welcome to the Armory.

Or you could use a sidearm for room distances and not worry about it....FWIW.

Another question, what ammo are you guys using for home defense? Not reloading yet so looking for recommendations. Thinking 62 grain HP. Barrel has a 1 in 7 twist. Thanks in advance.

Winchester PDX1. I use them in a .45 ACP and they work. They get a lot bigger when encountering solid objects and hold at least 90% of their mass. Widely available, I have seen them at Dick's and Walmart. Your local gun shop should have an assortment of rounds that have enhanced ballistic results(compared to FMJ), buy a box of each and have a fun day at the range.

Do you reload/have a friend or someone you trust that reloads? Request a session with some of the offerings from Sierra, Nosler, Hornady or Speer in the ballistic tip format and cook up a round that plays well with your rifle.

Why not Battlesight Zero for 300 yards? All you need is 36.

That way, your sights are good to go whether the goblins are at point blank range or on another hill.

Hammurabi - hadn't thought about a suppressor yet but now I will have to give it some thought.

Brembobanjo - thanks for the heads up about the PDX1s. Looks pretty impressive for HD. Anyone else using a bonded bullet for defense?