Zephyr One/Zero

Naval Special Warfare to Adopt Glock 19

"Looks like the Glock 19 will be the new 9mm pistol of Naval Special Warfare.

The SIG’s are still in service but are to be phased out in favor of the Glock Model 19.

I am not sure what generation, but based on those G19 already in service with SOF I’d say the Gen 3 is likely."

http://www.gunnuts.net/2015/12/10/naval-special-warfare-to-adopt-glock-19/

I'll be curious to see whether they use normal oem magazines. Iirc salt water screwing up the mags was a problem in the past.

Well, ....... there's always the all polymer construction Magpul and ETS aftermarket Glock magazines. (Except for the spring, of course.) The steel underframe and feed lips inside the factory magazines will be a lot more durable, though. I would think that anything any environmental influence that would damage a magazine would also damage all of the other steel parts of a Glock.

(Which is, 'Why' I use FrogLube in and outside of all my Glocks - Puts a deep, super durable polish on them and protects against contact with fresh water for up to 2 or 3 months at a time. All ya got 'a do is wipe the pistol dry after you come in out of the rain.)

Edited by Silver Bullet

Does that make my MK25 navy a classic?

I guess this puts Glock in a position to gain standard pistol status for the US military. To me it is a logical choice if 9mm is to be the chosen caliber. :hmm:

Does that make my MK25 navy a classic?

I doubt it.

Could say the same with the M11

Well, ....... there's always the all polymer construction Magpul and ETS aftermarket Glock magazines. (Except for the spring, of course.) The steel underframe and feed lips inside the factory magazines will be a lot more durable, though. I would think that anything any environmental influence that would damage a magazine would also damage all of the other steel parts of a Glock.

(Which is, 'Why' I use FrogLube in and outside of all my Glocks - Puts a deep, super durable polish on them and protects against contact with fresh water for up to 2 or 3 months at a time. All ya got 'a do is wipe the pistol dry after you come in out of the rain.)

Sig mags (at least those I'm familiar with) rust at the thought of salt water. Does the Mk5 pistol have stainless or nickle plated mags? Or some other corrosion inhibiting coating?

The Mk 25 has anti corrosion coatings on controls and internal components.

The Mk 25 has anti corrosion coatings on controls and internal components.

Sounds cool then. Other than cost, I'm not sure why they're switching. I know what Sig charges civilians for that gun, but even through .gov bid process, and through massive quantity discounts, a Sig would cost a pretty penny. Glock should still have them beaten by a fair amount.

G19 3rd and 4th gen are in service as are Magpul mags.......