Rabbi

RIA Pro Match 6" 10mm Disassembly

Manual and video both show a hole in guide rod to hold the spring compressed using an opened/shaped paperclip.

No such hole in my guiderod--but there is a flat screw slot in the front end of the guide rod. The Armscor support person said that gets unscrewed. She wasn't really clear as to whether that was done under tension or with the spring compressed or what. As stiff as the spring is, I can barely compress it--and I have strong hands.

Anyone with this experience? Clearly the screw is supposed to take the place of the hole/paperclip process, but I am unsure how that goes. Of course there is no mention of same in manual--in fact the Pro Match/bull barrel model isn't in there at all.

From what I have read that pistol has a 2pc guide rod. I guess you would disassemble it like a regular 1911 to take the slide off then you would have to use a screwdriver to unscrew the guide rod to allow the plug which holds the spring in underneath the top of the screw and the spring to come out. I would apply pressure on the screwdriver as I was unscrewing it. If that has that 20lb spring I wouldn't try to compress it before I unscrewed it

Edited by gshayd

Thanks--that is what I assumed. I'd just have liked for the company to get their owner's manual and their video right. Still waiting for a reply to my query to Armscor

When you uscrew it the screw, the spring plug, the spring and the two pieces of the guide rod should come apart. The screw holds it together since it does not have a bushing.

Perfect, thanks! They did send me a video, but unfortunately I couldn't open it with any player.

The BIG issue is getting it back together given the strength of the spring and the fact that it is not contained in any way while you are trying to compress it. I did manage to do it but it wasn't easy and I will know to wear some gloves next time.

You might want to make some kind of jig to hold it once you get it compressed

You might want to make some kind of jig to hold it once you get it compressed

And of course I just ordered a 22# spring per their advice--bet when I change that over it is going to be fun :)

C clamp for the win

C clamp for the win

May be the case. I've been thinking about it and not finished sorting it out.

All you would need to do is drill a hole in the end big enough for the screw to fit through.

All you would need to do is drill a hole in the end big enough for the screw to fit through.

Hmmm. Now I'm envisioning a pair of modified vice-grip clamps Like these: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/tW4AAOSwrklVfyyW/$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500For http://www.toolbuddy.co.uk/ekmps/shops/toolbuddy/images/irwin-vise-grip-locking-clamp-sheet-metal-200mm-a8r-1698-p.jpg

The metal would be thinner on a c clamp to drill through?

Quick question about your RIA long slide-10MM 1911pistol; is the left side of the frame tapped for an aftermarket optic mount or is it a clean untapped frame. All of the catalog images show 4 tapped holes. That is the last thing in the world I want in a 1911? Dust and dirt catchers.....