AR15Armory.com

New to the Game!

Guns4Fun2479

Welcome! You can spend a buttload of money making your rifle look nice. But then again, looks are subjective. My advice is do your research and ask a lot of questions and build your wishlist. If your build costs $1500+ and you got the cash, BUILD IT. If not, then figure out where you can save. For example, do you need a $200+ trigger? Probably not, but they are nice. Do you need a free-float hand guard or will Magpul suffice? Hamm is right, there are unlimited options in this hobby. Just depends on how deep your pockets are.

• Like 2

Welcome to a rewarding hobby! There are so many options for you to enjoy so look out, it can easily become an obsession!

I dont know how familiar you are with hunting and the regulations for using a 5.56/.223 semi auto but here will be a good place to start.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/taking-game/ As far as I can gather, other than weapon specific seasons (archery, Black Powder, migratory bird and turkey season) the AR 5.56 semi auto platform is good to go except for a clip holding more than 5 rounds. So go find a 5 round clip and have at it! I plan to use my AR this weekend during the first Hog season I can remember ever seeing.

Good luck, your gonna get hooked!

• Like 1

Welcome! You can spend a buttload of money making your rifle look nice. But then again, looks are subjective. My advice is do your research and ask a lot of questions and build your wishlist. If your build costs $1500+ and you got the cash, BUILD IT. If not, then figure out where you can save. For example, do you need a $200+ trigger? Probably not, but they are nice. Do you need a free-float hand guard or will Magpul suffice? Hamm is right, there are unlimited options in this hobby. Just depends on how deep your pockets are.

Kneedraggin, I am looking to have a basic build, something I can use as a platform for later modification. I want a decent upper and lower. Not sure on where I can find a good one and who is considered "good".

Welcome to a rewarding hobby! There are so many options for you to enjoy so look out, it can easily become an obsession!

I dont know how familiar you are with hunting and the regulations for using a 5.56/.223 semi auto but here will be a good place to start.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/taking-game/ As far as I can gather, other than weapon specific seasons (archery, Black Powder, migratory bird and turkey season) the AR 5.56 semi auto platform is good to go except for a clip holding more than 5 rounds. So go find a 5 round clip and have at it! I plan to use my AR this weekend during the first Hog season I can remember ever seeing.

Good luck, your gonna get hooked!

An AR does not use clips. They use magazines. They are not the same thing.

• Like 3

Kneedraggin, I am looking to have a basic build, something I can use as a platform for later modification. I want a decent upper and lower. Not sure on where I can find a good one and who is considered "good".

The biggest thing about getting into the AR world is first determining the specific purpose. Next, you have to determine a budget. Then, you build the AR around that purpose and budget. I bought my first AR back in 2004 and modified it extensively. I had a bunch of parts laying around I was not going to use. Afterwards, I found it was much easier to start building them they way I wanted them from the beginning. After 12 years, I have built over 3 dozen of them. I own 39 AR-15s right now, with 3 more in the works. I determine what it is I want the AR to do and then I start spec'ing out the parts. Years of experience and a lot of market knowledge really helps me. What I would recommend is to visit Palmetto State armory's website and look at their AR-15 PSA "Barreled Upper Assemblies" and "Complete Lower Assemblies" to get an idea as to what you want in order to fill your needs/wants. Once you have an idea, you can either buy a ready made upper assembly that suits your needs/wants or you can build one. The same goes for the lowers. You will also need to consider whether you want an AR with a carbine gas system or a mid-length gas system. You need to determine if you want a free-float handguard or not. You need to consider sights and optics (if you choose). You also need to consider the additional purchase of magazines (not clips) and ammo. After all, it is nothing more than an expensive paperweight without the ammo to use.

• Like 1

The biggest thing about getting into the AR world is first determining the specific purpose. Next, you have to determine a budget. Then, you build the AR around that purpose and budget. I bought my first AR back in 2004 and modified it extensively. I had a bunch of parts laying around I was not going to use. Afterwards, I found it was much easier to start building them they way I wanted them from the beginning. After 12 years, I have built over 3 dozen of them. I own 39 AR-15s right now, with 3 more in the works. I determine what it is I want the AR to do and then I start spec'ing out the parts. Years of experience and a lot of market knowledge really helps me. What I would recommend is to visit Palmetto State armory's website and look at their AR-15 PSA "Barreled Upper Assemblies" and "Complete Lower Assemblies" to get an idea as to what you want in order to fill your needs/wants. Once you have an idea, you can either buy a ready made upper assembly that suits your needs/wants or you can build one. The same goes for the lowers. You will also need to consider whether you want an AR with a carbine gas system or a mid-length gas system. You need to determine if you want a free-float handguard or not. You need to consider sights and optics (if you choose). You also need to consider the additional purchase of magazines (not clips) and ammo. After all, it is nothing more than an expensive paperweight without the ammo to use.

That's a lot of information to process! I appreciate the guidelines! Guess I have some researching to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you know what kind of look you want, we can help you find the parts and fill in the blanks. A good place to check is Google AR15 look at the images or pintrist.

Honestly this won't be your only AR so when you add a new one to your safe it will fill a need and purpose.

Edited by kobelup
  • Like 1

I was wondering, are all AR-15 parts compatible with each other? If I purchase a Lower from company A and I use an upper from company B? Can I get a stripped lower from Company A and buy a trigger kit from Company B and it work?

I was wondering, are all AR-15 parts compatible with each other? If I purchase a Lower from company A and I use an upper from company B? Can I get a stripped lower from Company A and buy a trigger kit from Company B and it work?

Yes. I am doing a build right now with parts from 12 different companies. It is not uncommon. We call these "Frankenguns" because they are built with parts from several different companies.

• Like 1