AR15Armory.com

Brand new to the AR-15 platform and the forum

Nicktuck2011

Ok, so a little about me for starters. I've grown up around guns and have a decent knowledge but most of it comes from bolt action rifles. I've never used the AR-15 platform but have been looking at them for years. Initially I was just going to buy one but decided it would be a better experience to build my own. I've done some research and have decided to get a Mega stripped lower and ordered a lower parts kit without the trigger, trigger guard, etc. So the next logical step I guess is a trigger and work my way up. I've never shot a two stage trigger so I'm thinking I should go with a single stage as that's what I'm accustomed to with bench shooting. Can anyone recommend some good single stage triggers? And also I need to start looking at barrels. I looked at satern barrels but you basically have to order one from them the way you want it and I don't feel comfortable with my lack of knowledge placing an order yet. I'm looking at either a 16 or 18 inch barrel. So the big question is which one? Stainless steel or not? Chrome lined or not? Does satern even offer some of these options as their website doesn't say. Or can someone recommend some good barrels from someone else?

Ok, so a little about me for starters. I've grown up around guns and have a decent knowledge but most of it comes from bolt action rifles. I've never used the AR-15 platform but have been looking at them for years. Initially I was just going to buy one but decided it would be a better experience to build my own. I've done some research and have decided to get a Mega stripped lower and ordered a lower parts kit without the trigger, trigger guard, etc. So the next logical step I guess is a trigger and work my way up. I've never shot a two stage trigger so I'm thinking I should go with a single stage as that's what I'm accustomed to with bench shooting. Can anyone recommend some good single stage triggers? And also I need to start looking at barrels. I looked at satern barrels but you basically have to order one from them the way you want it and I don't feel comfortable with my lack of knowledge placing an order yet. I'm looking at either a 16 or 18 inch barrel. So the big question is which one? Stainless steel or not? Chrome lined or not? Does satern even offer some of these options as their website doesn't say. Or can someone recommend some good barrels from someone else?

Sorry Nicktuck, I must have pressed a wrong button.

I just finished my first build and I used a ALG enhanced mil spec trigger.

Great reviews , I haven't fired my rifle yet but I'm confident it is a good trigger.

I got mine from Brownells for around 40$

I'm sure there will be more knowledgeable guys posting here to help you soon!

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

The guys on here have a wealth of knowledge and have helped me immensely, you've come to the right place!!

Also... This new hobby is addictive!!

I'm starting to collect parts for my next build and just bought a Faxon 16" barrel for 175$ from Aim Surplus.

Seems like a good deal for the price and past posts on here have nothing bad to say about Faxon...

Nick, welcome. First.....we need to know what you plan on doing with the gun before we can start spending your money. There are lots of good makers of parts and barrels out there to fit your needs.....we just need to know what those needs are.

I run Black Hole Weaponry barrels on my two uppers that are dedicated to blasting fury little rodents in mass quantities. I don't have an Ar15 for light weight plinking as all mine are built with truck axles for barrels.

The ALG ACT is the trigger that I would highly recommend. It is a mil-spec trigger, but with various coatings (Nickel Teflon and Nickel Boron) that really makes it smooth and a little lighter trigger pull. As far as barrels go, the purpose of the AR really dictates which to use. Then, it boils down to budget. Afterwards, it comes to the manufacturer and vendor. I also recommend using a well known manufacturer and vendor when it comes to barrels. I do recommend a mid-length gas system barrel. You have a choice of either a .223 Wylde (not to be confused with .223 REM) chamber of a 5.56 NATO chamber. Either will allow the use of .223 REM and 5.56 NATO spec ammo. Twist rate is recommended to be either a 1/7 or 1/8. If you want really good accuracy, as in a precision AR, stainless steel is the way to go. If you just looking for a general purpose barrel, but want decent accuracy, go the chrome-lined route. For a general purpose AR, I recommend the BCM mid-length BHF chrome-lined barrels. Others here will recommend the Black Hole Weaponry barrels since they are a site sponsor. I have also heard that some guys have had good luck with VooDoo Innovations barrels. Spikes Tactical also has some really good barrels. I will say this, stay away from Radical Firearms barrels. They are hit and miss at best. If you really want to go the stainless steel route, there are a number of companies to choose from such as BCM, Rainier Arms, Compass Lake Engineering, Wilson Combat, and a few others. It all depends on your budget and purpose for this AR. I have built a number of ARs (almost 40) and have had some experience with a variety of products from various vendors.

Edited by TackleberryMCS
  • Like 1

ALG is nice from all I've heard, I don't have much experience, all I've used up to now is what came in my Stag rifle, which I assume is a regular old milspec trigger. It was good by itself, but I wanted a bit of an upgrade and saw a heckuva sale so I got a Geissele SSA, its nice. The ALG triggers are made by the same people that make the Geissele triggers, its his wife's company. That would be what I'd go with for a single stage mil spec type trigger, but that's just me. I haven't had the money to try different stuff. Don't worry, there are plenty of good guys here that will help you spend your money right.

My fault for not being more specific and I apologize for that. I'm looking for a do everything rifle if that even exists. I live in Pennsylvania so hunting with it is out of the question unless they change the laws. I really don't need a varmint gun as I own multiple small caliber bolt action rifles (223 wssm, 223 rem, 22-250, 17 centerfire, 204 ruger). I'm looking for something that will be useful for self defense but also to be able to reach out 300 yards with hopefully MOA. I do my own reloading for all my bolt guns and own the dies for 223 remington but would like the gun to be able to fire both 223 rem and 556 nato. So what would be the best route? 556 NATO chamber ing or 223 Wylde? Would chrome lined barrel be the better option and still provide MOA? Also I should say that this build is happening overnight. Although I wish it were, I'm going to have to space this over a few months so the wife doesn't get upset about the cost.

My fault for not being more specific and I apologize for that. I'm looking for a do everything rifle if that even exists. I live in Pennsylvania so hunting with it is out of the question unless they change the laws. I really don't need a varmint gun as I own multiple small caliber bolt action rifles (223 wssm, 223 rem, 22-250, 17 centerfire, 204 ruger). I'm looking for something that will be useful for self defense but also to be able to reach out 300 yards with hopefully MOA. I do my own reloading for all my bolt guns and own the dies for 223 remington but would like the gun to be able to fire both 223 rem and 556 nato. So what would be the best route? 556 NATO chamber ing or 223 Wylde? Would chrome lined barrel be the better option and still provide MOA? Also I should say that this build is happening overnight. Although I wish it were, I'm going to have to space this over a few months so the wife doesn't get upset about the cost.

I had hoped you would have read my post. It explained the chamber differences. For accuracy purposes, most precision ARs use the .223 Wylde chamber. Most all defensive AR are using the 5.56 NATO chambered barrels. Additionally, for your purpose, a 16" barrel is all you really need. You can reach out to 300 yards very easily and then some. As far as MOA is concerned, for a defensive AR, if you can get anywhere between 2.5 - 4MOA @ 100 yards, you are doing well enough. I consider this "minute of head". You could conceivably get 1.5MOA with a really good quality barrel and properly supported. With a precision AR, you would be dealing with .5 - 1MOA @ 100 yards and that all depends on the shooter, the AR setup, and the ammo used. Remember, for what you are saying you want, MOA is not really an issue, although it should be accurate within reason. This is not like a bolt-action hunting rifle. There are a lot of things to learn about the AR platform and all of the nuances.

Edited by TackleberryMCS

I'm looking for a do everything rifle if that even exists.

The honest truth is a "normal" m4gery ar-15 of good quality is incredibly versatile. I've got no specific suggestions at this time, but I do have questions for you to think about.

Bipod or foregrip y/n? How are you attaching it to the rifle?

Sling y/n, what kind and where?

Flashlight y/n, where?

Suppressor? (if you lawfully can your answer should probably be "yes")

Gonna magdump lots of ammo y/n?

If I tell you that you can store a cleaning kit in some kinds of buttstocks do you think this is awesome or pointless?

Do you want a free float handguard or are you wrong? (mild trolling, don't mind me)

Gonna put a big scope on it? This can affect charging handle selection.

How averse are you to excess weight or a forward-balanced rifle?

I apologize Tackleberry and I did read your post. Is there a reason the 556 NATO chamber ing is used in defense guns instead of the 223 wylde chambering. I know you said that SS barrels are used for accuracy while chrome lined is a better all purpose barrel. So why is that? Will stainless not hold up to rapid fire? Why must there be a compromise of accuracy in a self defense gun? Your right I don't know anything about the AR platform. Many bolt action rifles can achieve MOA without being SS or chrome lined. Just general questions that I don't know anything about on the AR side.

Hammurabi, I'm not looking for something to mag dump repeatedly. Yes to a sling but not sure what kind. I'm not sure about the suppressor regulations in PA I will have to look into that. I'm leaning towards a foregrip but I might not put a bipod or a foregrip on it. Free float hand guard is the better option correct? I don't want a big scope on it. And yes to a flashlight maybe even a laser.

Edited by Nicktuck2011