hlhneast

USFS/FWC Range in Lake City, FL

The big brown truck dropped off the 1K rounds I split with a buddy Wed. and we are headed to the range in Lake City Sunday morning. Neither of us have ever been to this range. I have heard mostly good things about it and the one pic on the 'net looks like its a nice facility. I also read that the first weekend of the month there are supposed to be "staff" on site and sometimes special events. Dunno if that is only on Sat but it doesnt really matter, its all about punching holes in targets and having a good and safe experience. I am stoked to do some plinking and finish the break in process on my new Smith M&P15.

If anyone wants to meet up and shoot, load up and come on! Any other info besides what is listed on the FWC website, especially any good or bad experiences there, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks guys and good shooting!

Stephen H.

I found the range in Lake City is a pretty nice facility. We got there around 8:30am Sunday and shot til about 11:00am. When we arrived there were only 2 other folks on the other end but by 11 it was getting pretty busy. There are 3 different ranges, two 50 yarders and a 200 yard range if my judgement of distance is accurate. There is a concrete block wall separating the shorter ranges from the distance range so its safe to walk down and change targets. Every shooter was polite and was safety oriented but that can change from group to group I suppose. All in all it was worth driving the hour from Jacksonville to get some trigger time in.

On a light note, I was about the only shooter still on the line towards the end of our session. I was shooting a 50 yard target open sights and I notice in my periphery an object moving into my sight line. I flip the safety and look down range and a freakin turkey hen is walking right out into the shooting lane! Amazing, I guess she is used to all the noise but aint the smartest bird I have ever run across.

• Like 1

Glad to hear your first trip was a pleasant one hlhneast! My wife and I go there sometimes, it's a really nice facility. You didn't mention if you are an archer or not (I'm not) but they have a range there also for those that like to stick arrows in things! They have maintenance days I think once a month where they build replacement frames for the targets and do simple clean-up. Of course there are restrooms and a picnic table or two.

An image of the 200 yard range from one of my sessions shooting my AR15 (7.62X39mm) and Russian 1953 Tula SKS. I'm retired so I like to use my free time during the week to go, it's seldom anyone ever there!

lV0nV9x.jpg?1

Glad to hear your first trip was a pleasant one hlhneast! My wife and I go there sometimes, it's a really nice facility. You didn't mention if you are an archer or not (I'm not) but they have a range there also for those that like to stick arrows in things! They have maintenance days I think once a month where they build replacement frames for the targets and do simple clean-up. Of course there are restrooms and a picnic table or two.

An image of the 200 yard range from one of my sessions shooting my AR15 (7.62X39mm) and Russian 1953 Tula SKS. I'm retired so I like to use my free time during the week to go, it's seldom anyone ever there!

lV0nV9x.jpg?1

I am sorry I didnt get back with this thread for so long. Thats a nice pic of the 200yd range there and I spent quite a few Sundays shooting over there. I finally just joined the local rifle and pistol club here in JAX so I can run over after work if there is enough daylight in the evening. Gateway P&RC seems to be a nice range so far and has a good 200yd range there as well. The non member ranges are nice and are pretty busy most of the time. I am sure the member ranges will get busier as the year goes on, my member card was number 18 with 4 weeks into the new year. With building rifles I need easy access to a range or I dont shoot them nearly enough and if there is any issue I dont want a bunch of people around. As I venture away from 5.56/.223 I am less certain of "milspec" being the same. Always safety first.

Anyway, if anyone would like to "guest" with me some time PM me and we can see if we can set up times. I think the fee is only $15 for guest shooters.

hlhneast glad to hear you found a range to your liking and close by also. I have made visiting this range a habit now, once or twice a month, and as I said before I go during the week as there are less folks around.

hlhneast glad to hear you found a range to your liking and close by also. I have made visiting this range a habit now, once or twice a month, and as I said before I go during the week as there are less folks around.

You might still run into us one early Sunday morning. My buddy and I would run over early to beat the crowd and generally cleared out by 10.. Our shop just got a job in LC so if I will run it, I will give you a hollar and we can met up one afternoon. Take care!

Steve

• Like 1

That would be fine with me Steve, best of luck to you folks with the job!

Danny

I talk the one of the FWC guys frequently that takes care if that range. He is a great guy and goes out of his way to do stuff to keep it up.

• Like 1

I talk the one of the FWC guys frequently that takes care if that range. He is a great guy and goes out of his way to do stuff to keep it up.

I agree with you, the folks maintaining that range do a great job keeping the grass mowed and otherwise clean. I believe it's each week they build or replace target stands out of wood as some folks do not shoot very straight!

Edited by Dannyboy53

They use to provide free food for youth shoots but adults had to pays if I remember correctly, but some arse hat that could not cough up a dollar for a hotdog complained his wasnt free too, so they had to quit doing it unfortunatly. They sold brass brass and lead from the range to fund these events and maintenance.

They use to provide free food for youth shoots but adults had to pays if I remember correctly, but some arse hat that could not cough up a dollar for a hotdog complained his wasn't free too, so they had to quit doing it unfortunately. They sold brass brass and lead from the range to fund these events and maintenance.

That sounds about right, some dead beat always screws up everything for other people! I'm not sure if they still do that, I'm almost always there only during the week as I dodge the crowds. Some weekday mornings I'm the only one there!

I know this is an old dead topic but wanted to say I try to go there at least once a week or every other week always on weekdays. Retired so I don't have to wait on weekends. So if anyone is planning a visit let me know and we'll try to meet up.

Rex

6 hours ago, oncewas said:

I know this is an old dead topic but wanted to say I try to go there at least once a week or every other week always on weekdays. Retired so I don't have to wait on weekends. So if anyone is planning a visit let me know and we'll try to meet up.

Rex

Rex I have been trying to get to the range for a couple of weeks and it seems like something is getting in the way every time I turn around! I want to try and make it one day next week as there are too many things going on the next few days...I just got out of the hospital in Lake city for some testing.

2 hours ago, Dannyboy53 said:

Rex I have been trying to get to the range for a couple of weeks and it seems like something is getting in the way every time I turn around! I want to try and make it one day next week as there are too many things going on the next few days...I just got out of the hospital in Lake city for some testing.

I know how that is was there for some tests myself a couple of weeks ago. Now my daughters in-laws are down from Ohio for the week. I want to get her out maybe the following week if things work out but either way I'm planning on going either the 5, 6 or 7. I usually go Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday if I can so anytime you're able to go let me know and I'll head over also. 

Either one of those days are good for me, that's when I usually go. How about the morning of Tuesday the 5th?