BiggerHammer

Just finished my latest build 22" , 8 twist, .243 LBC.

The A-A head stamped Grendel brass I'm using. I purchased 8 or so years ago. I had picked up a 16" Alexader Arms M4 contour, midlengrh barrel from a guy on one of the forums. It came with the barrel, bolt, dies and 200 new A-A cases. I had forgotten I had the brass until I ran across them while sorting through my brass storage boxes.

Edited by BiggerHammer

Nothing like finding brass. I found some Remington 6.8 HS brass the other day I had put away where I could remember it. No doubt in my mind Lapua manufactrured stuff is the only way to fly. With the local price on the Hornady they are almost identical in cost here.

Grefg

Today I decided to give the Hornady cases a try, they weren't as accurate as my loads with the Lapua (A-A) cases but were fairly consistent. With the acception of the third group I shot(Far right group in the photo). For some reason the first round of the 5 shot group didn't eject. I simply manually worked the charging hadle, it took a bit more force than usual but ejected and I then fired the next four for a group. The first shot with the hung up case is the one that went high. All groups with the acception of the one with the flyer were slightly under a inch(1").

105gr A-Max

CFE223

Rem 7 1/2 primers

Hornady No neck turn cases

31.2gr CFE223

Avg 2850 SD.16

31.4gr CFE223

Avg 2874 SD.8

31.6gr CFE223

Avg 2887 SD.13

FullSizeRender_zpsowia3mv9.jpg

IMG_2579_zpszz5fmek2.jpg

Edited by BiggerHammer

Tried some 95gr SST's today. I found a partial box of them 18 or so bullets left in it. I loaded 9 in A-A cases and 9 in Lapua cases. Same seating depth but different primers. Rem 7 1/2's in the Lapua cases and CCI 450's in the A-A cases. All had the same charge of 32.2gr of CFE223..

Note the considerable difference in groups. The A-A cases with the CCI 450's shot much tighter and the speeds were good, just shy of 3000fps.

IMG_2611_zpsjkra6uf6.jpg

Wow! That's quite a difference!

Tried some 95gr SST's today. I found a partial box of them 18 or so bullets left in it. I loaded 9 in A-A cases and 9 in Lapua cases. Same seating depth but different primers. Rem 7 1/2's in the Lapua cases and CCI 450's in the A-A cases. All had the same charge of 32.2gr of CFE223..

Note the considerable difference in groups. The A-A cases with the CCI 450's shot much tighter and the speeds were good, just shy of 3000fps.

IMG_2611_zpsjkra6uf6.jpg

So, the obvious question is "Was it the primers or the brass?" I'd be quite interested in seeing a reverse of the mix, with the CCI's in the Lapua and the 7 1/2's in the AA.

Was the brass used here new or fired? If fired, were the round counts similar?

Nice shooting, btw.

Edited by NugginFutz

I ordered more 95gr SST's yesterday. I have some 95gr Berger Hunting VLD's and 100gr Sierra BTSP loaded up for today's range session.

So, the obvious question is "Was it the primers or the brass?" I'd be quite interested in seeing a reverse of the mix, with the CCI's in the Lapua and the 7 1/2's in the AA.

Was the brass used here new or fired? If fired, were the round counts similar?

Nice shooting, btw.

Agreed. Hard to tell what made the change when two things were changed at the same time.

Shot four different loads with the 95gr Berger Hunting VLD's. The one in the photo bellow on the left being the best.

95gr Berger Hunting VLD

32.4gr CFE 223

A-A cases

CCI-400 primer

2999 FPS

SD. 5

Right at 1/2" (1/2 MOA)

IMG_2615_zpszkmwhfth.jpg

Shot four different loads with the 95gr Berger Hunting VLD's. The one in the photo bellow on the left being the best.

95gr Berger Hunting VLD

32.4gr CFE 223

A-A cases

CCI-400 primer

2999 FPS

SD. 5

Right at 1/2" (1/2 MOA)

IMG_2615_zpszkmwhfth.jpg

Very nice.

Finally got a break from the game of "Life" today and was able to stop by the range and shoot 20 or so rounds through the .243 LBC. I have been working allot with CFE223 and the 105gr A-Max with exellent results. I sniffed around on same different sites and ended up at the 6mmAR page. So I dug through their data and results and selected a load that used a powder I wanted to try with the 105gr A-Max's (H4895). I wanted to compare it charge weight wise to the CFE223 and see whT the velocity results were.

Here's the kicker my barrel is a 22", 8 twist Black Hole .243 LBC. The load I mimicked with the acception of the bullet. They were shooting a 105gr Berger and I was shooting a 105gr A-Max.

The load I selected was 28.5gr of H4895, BR4, Lapua case, I'm shooting the older A-A cases which were made by Lapua. The load I selected from the 6mmAR page was being shot from a Bartlein 26" , 4 groove, 8 twist barrel at a velocity of 2777fps.

Here's a screen shot of the load I found, I just substituted a 105A-Max in place of the Berger 105.

IMG_2781_zpsymempxor.png

It lists the 28.5 gr H4895gr load along with the velocity and SD and such above.

When I got to the range I loaded 5 rounds. Selected a target that was already at the 100 yards line and used what looked to be a .30 cal hole already in the target as my aiming point. I fired a five shot group that measured .421. I then attached the Magnetto speed to get the velocities and to also see again how the attached Magnetto speed affected accuracy AND IT DOES!

I then fired five round with the Magnetto speed attached. This group came in at .968.

I Looked at the Magnetto speed.

Average velocity 2764fps with a SD of 8.

That's 13fps slower that the same load from a 26" , 4 groove Bartlein barrel!

The smaller group bellow is without the Magnetto speed and the larger group is with the Magnetto attached. On the smaller .421 group the bullet hole under the 5 shot group was my aiming point.

IMG_2779_zps0p78alwy.jpg

Edited by BiggerHammer

Finally got a break from the game of "Life" today and was able to stop by the range and shoot 20 or so rounds through the .243 LBC. I have been working allot with CFE223 and the 105gr A-Max with exellent results. I sniffed around on same different sites and ended up at the 6mmAR page. So I dug through their data and results and selected a load that used a powder I wanted to try with the 105gr A-Max's (H4895). I wanted to compare it charge weight wise to the CFE223 and see whT the velocity results were.

Here's the kicker my barrel is a 22", 8 twist Black Hole .243 LBC. The load I mimicked with the acception of the bullet. They were shooting a 105gr Berger and I was shooting a 105gr A-Max.

The load I selected was 28.5gr of H4895, BR4, Lapua case, I'm shooting the older A-A cases which were made by Lapua. The load I selected from the 6mmAR page was being shot from a Bartlein 26" , 4 groove, 8 twist barrel at a velocity of 2777fps.

Here's a screen shot of the load I found, I just substituted a 105A-Max in place of the Berger 105.

IMG_2781_zpsymempxor.png

It lists the 28.5 gr H4895gr load along with the velocity and SD and such above.

When I got to the range I loaded 5 rounds. Selected a target that was already at the 100 yards line and used what looked to be a .30 cal hole already in the target as my aiming point. I fired a five shot group that measured .421. I then attached the Magnetto speed to get the velocities and to also see again how the attached Magnetto speed affected accuracy AND IT DOES!

I then fired five round with the Magnetto speed attached. This group came in at .968.

I Looked at the Magnetto speed.

Average velocity 2764fps with a SD of 8.

That's 13fps slower that the same load from a 26" , 4 groove Bartlein barrel!

The smaller group bellow is without the Magnetto speed and the larger group is with the Magnetto attached. On the smaller .421 group the bullet hole under the 5 shot group was my aiming point.

IMG_2779_zps0p78alwy.jpg

Outstanding!! Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

Yesterday I took the exact same load I used for the .421 group above and substatuted a Lapua case in place of the A-A case.

With everything being the same with the only acception being the cases. The A-A cased load ran 2764 the same load with a Lapua case ran 2799 both loads had a SD of 8.

I shot the the A-A cases load with a upped charge of H4895 (28.7). Average velocity was 2801 and the SD still remained at 8. It shot in the mid .6's even with the Magnetto speed attached. I loaded more of them up for today to see how they grouped without the Magnetto speed attached. At 28.7gr of H4895 this is at the top end for my rifle with that powder.

Edited by BiggerHammer