newbe

Newbe's Epic Small Rifle Primer test (A test of 9 different primers)

Thats good news. Cabelas has S&B, but rarely has LR and SR....

I believe I bought the S&B online during the great component shortage.

This is great work. It deserves to be locked...........Oh no I mean PINNED!!! So I think I will.

Thanks you for all the great effort Newbe.

Greg

Chances are, the ones that stayed the same were in the middle of an accuracy node, or close to it before the MS was attached. Those that weren't, were probably more affected as you are strapping a big weight onto the end of your barrel (not that it weighs a lot, it just changes the tuning of your barrel).

Time for you to buy a LabRadar. :segrin:

Good info.

Time for you to buy a LabRadar. :segrin:

Good info.

Or you could send me one for evaluation.

I'll give it back when I'm done with it :segrin:

Or you could send me one for evaluation.

I'll give it back when I'm done with it :segrin:

Ha!

How are you measuring the powder? Are you weighing each charge?

Ha!

How are you measuring the powder? Are you weighing each charge?

Sorry. I should have mentioned that. I'll have to go back and edit that in.

Yes, each charge hand weighed to within + or - .02gr on the Gempro 250.

All bullets seated to the same length and verified with a Sinclair comparator .005" jammed into the lands.

I'm surprised the cci 450 magnums were slower than the cci 400's. I have 1k of the 450's and was going to down load for them....maybe I wont have to after seeing this.

edit....and those Wolf srm's are going to need a work up to tighten them up in my loading's.

Edited by towtruck

Besides for showing primers with the least ES, which was the point of this test. It also clearly demonstrates that there is a big difference in accuracy between primers. Once you have worked up a perfect load with seating depth and powder charge you can't just change the primer. I saw a test in another forum where a fellow was trying to prove that there isn't much of an accuracy difference between primers.

Besides for showing primers with the least ES, which was the point of this test. It also clearly demonstrates that there is a big difference in accuracy between primers. Once you have worked up a perfect load with seating depth and powder charge you can't just change the primer. I saw a test in another forum where a fellow was trying to prove that there isn't much of an accuracy difference between primers.

Well lets just say that Newbe proved the variation in this case. The other guy on the other Forum must have eating some GOOD brownies from Colorado because he obviously was high.

Greg

I'm surprised the cci 450 magnums were slower than the cci 400's. I have 1k of the 450's and was going to down load for them....maybe I wont have to after seeing this.

edit....and those Wolf srm's are going to need a work up to tighten them up in my loading's.

Yes. Not something you'd expect to see from a magnum primer. The S&B primers were probably some of the weakest in terms of ignition, yet achieved some of the higher velocities as well as the CCI 400s.

Additionally, you will probably be able to push them harder and get more velocity as they supposedly have a thicker cup. This may benefit you on your slower 20 practical load.

I'd still drop down and slowly work your way up since you're using different components than I am.

Additionally, you will probably be able to push them harder and get more velocity as they supposedly have a thicker cup. This may benefit you on your slower 20 practical load.

I'd still drop down and slowly work your way up since you're using different components than I am.

That slow load is there because the bullet can't handle the speed, or the push it gets leaving the case/barrel. I would love to get that one going faster but it starts busting the lead free cores and opening up the groups.

That slow load is there because the bullet can't handle the speed, or the push it gets leaving the case/barrel. I would love to get that one going faster but it starts busting the lead free cores and opening up the groups.

Gotcha.

Newbe, you shoot for groups first then chrono when doing work ups, right?

Im hoping to get those work ups with Tac and CFE 223 shot this weekend.

Newbe, you shoot for groups first then chrono when doing work ups, right?

Im hoping to get those work ups with Tac and CFE 223 shot this weekend.

I shoot for groups every time I pull the trigger :wink:

I don't have the MS attached when I am working up a load.

I test for accuracy nodes with 3-4 shot groups, then verify with 5-shot groups. Once I have a proven accurate load, I attach the MS and get the speeds, then make my drop charts.

The only time the MS comes out is after I've proven the load.

Hopefully this answers your question.