Sign in to follow this  
Wiseman

So you want to buy a flashlight?

Wow, we've come a long way from the lights mentioned here!

65 lumens to 200 lumens in this thread. Now we talk about 600, 800 to over 1000.

Wow, we've come a long way from the lights mentioned here!

65 lumens to 200 lumens in this thread. Now we talk about 600, 800 to over 1000.

I would expect so after 10 years of time. Good lights rock.

I bought myself a Gearlight LED flashlight on Amazon last year for Christmas.  It is the S1200 model and was less that $20.  It's extremely bright and is adjustable from flood to spot.  It has five modes so we'll see how the switch holds up. 

For the money, it's pretty impressive.  It's holding up well so far.  

That's like the pair of Fenix E-20's I have. Cheap and work every time. Still love my single 123 powered 4-Sevens Quark.

Since this topic started, I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. I now carry a Nitecore, backed up with the last Nitecore I EDC'd. The old on puts out a measly 800 lumens, the current one 1000 lumens. And since it's over a year old, it's probably time to start looking to upgrade again. 

5 hours ago, Pepper said:

Since this topic started, I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. I now carry a Nitecore, backed up with the last Nitecore I EDC'd. The old on puts out a measly 800 lumens, the current one 1000 lumens. And since it's over a year old, it's probably time to start looking to upgrade again. 

You would probably be looking-at their [Nitecore] LEO model the TM03 [Tiny Monster].  Puts out 2800 lumens.  https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/tm03  It's right-around $100 bucks depending on who the vendor is.

Related image

• Like 1

On 1/20/2008 at 6:06 PM, WakaWaka said:

I have to say I've been a fan of maglites my whole life. Recently at my last "job" my maglite was used as a hammer to put about 250 nails into some wood to build something while at work. Light still worked. LED so I had no worries.

But Before LED bulbs, mag lite were great, went out about year ago, and bought the 3watt LED mag lite and WOW that sucker is bright! rated at 140 lumens against the 36 lumens hologen bulb maglites.

Though be carefull! I noticed at walmart you can buy the 3watt maglite (flashlight and bulb) or just the LED bulb..STAY AWAY FROM JUST THE BULB..for some reason its not even half as bright.. just to forwarn everyone lol

I concur. I bought just the bulbs and was sorely disappointed. 

On 10/21/2018 at 11:34 PM, Zephyr One/Zero said:

You would probably be looking-at their [Nitecore] LEO model the TM03 [Tiny Monster].  Puts out 2800 lumens.  https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/tm03  It's right-around $100 bucks depending on who the vendor is.

That 2800 lumen mode is only good for 15 minutes! Crazy. 

On 10/21/2018 at 9:34 PM, Zephyr One/Zero said:

Related image

I'm going to tell Santa that's what I want for Christmas.

3 hours ago, Casper said:

That 2800 lumen mode is only good for 15 minutes! Crazy. 

15 minutes is long enough to give a bad guy a tan, and ensure he doesn't see shat except for one bright spot for a few days. 

My current 1000 lumen light is good for that. If I need to ensure a bad guy doesn't get to see me, I hit him right in the face with it for a second or so. Even if he squints or shades his eyes, he got the flash, and if I move and keep my light off, he's still looking for me while I decide what's going to happen next. Gives me 10-30 seconds of time to decide and start moving before he realizes what's going on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pepper said:

I'm going to tell Santa that's what I want for Christmas.

15 minutes is long enough to give a bad guy a tan, and ensure he doesn't see shat except for one bright spot for a few days. 

My current 1000 lumen light is good for that. If I need to ensure a bad guy doesn't get to see me, I hit him right in the face with it for a second or so. Even if he squints or shades his eyes, he got the flash, and if I move and keep my light off, he's still looking for me while I decide what's going to happen next. Gives me 10-30 seconds of time to decide and start moving before he realizes what's going on. 

Trust me, you don't need 1,000 lumens to get that "camera flash" effect. I've got 300 on my Surefire and it does the trick. 

I decided to chime in instead of just "like" because i think some guys who EDC flashlights should keep that advantage in mind also.

Take your light to the range and train with it. Not only blinding but blocking, striking,  if needed, and/or moving/creating separation as you draw...