Sign in to follow this  
SLaw138

Outdoor ranges in IL ? (Rifle / Pistol)

Can anyone recommend any outdoor (public) ranges in IL ? I suppose, more specifically, somewhere in the Chicago burbs ? Or perhaps something just over the border into Wisconsin or Indiana ?

The only truly open to the pubic range I know of is the Willow Slough range in Indiana. Just east of St Anne, IL.

There was one in East Dundee, but that was 40 years ago.

The only truly open to the pubic range I know of is the Willow Slough range in Indiana. Just east of St Anne, IL.

Yea, i used to go there all the time, the ROs are a hoot too.

There was one in East Dundee, but that was 40 years ago.

GAT is in ED. Your probably talking about the phesant farm. Last i heard it was private skeet.

Basically, your gonna have to drive over an hour for a public outdoor range. It sucks living in Crook County.....

Theres McMiller Sports Complex. Not free, but fairly cheap for all day shooing.

GAT is in ED. Your probably talking about the phesant farm. Last i heard it was private skeet.

This place had a .22 pond they floated corn cops on for targets (can you say ricochet?)

and a rifle range. I did not have a handgun at the time....

That is where I took my wife on our second date. She weighed 95 pounds soaking wet and the .308 about knocked her off the bench!

This place had a .22 pond they floated corn cops on for targets (can you say ricochet?)

and a rifle range. I did not have a handgun at the time....

That is where I took my wife on our second date. She weighed 95 pounds soaking wet and the .308 about knocked her off the bench!

Honestly, i have no idea, it was 10 years before i was born. But the oldest range in ED i know of is now a phesant farm. They used to have a full range decades ago, but the town has been built up.

To the OP, if you dont want to drive far, your only choices are GAT guns, Maxon Shooters, Bass Pro up in Gurnee Mills and On Target in Crystal Lake.

On Target would be my range of choice. Super friendly employees and they have signs posted that say take as much brass as you want! Plus the range is only a couple-few years old. For 1 hour and 8 targets IIRC is about $24.

Or, go where everyone goes...GAT. On the weekends, 45min-1 hr wait times, pay $2 to use their target holders(i tried bringing my own, they wont allow it) and if caught by an employee, they give you shiest about taking your brass.

I havent been to the new location of Maxon. But it looks nice on their website and they have a full bore gunsmith.

Union grove and Bristol, both in wi have outdoor ranges. Both are about 20-30 min from Il border. I love real close to six flags, and they would be my ranges to shoot rifle