Sign in to follow this  
Joel74

Federal Premium Law Enforcement Ammunition

I bought a case of Federal Premium Law Enforcement 223 Rem 64 Grain Hi-Shok Sp. The box reads, "this ammunition is designed and manufactured for sale to law enforcement agencies." Any problem using this for self defense?

***edit please move to the appropriate forum.

Edited by Joel74

Typically there is nothing wrong with owning it, but some manufactures restrict it regardless if it is illegal or not. Supposedly Hornady (local shop claims they are forbidden to sell it to civies) even has restriction on the LEvrounds unless you have proper credentials

In Texas....no

• Like 1

I'm just wondering if it would open up a can of worm if it was used in a self defense shooting.

I'm just wondering if it would open up a can of worm if it was used in a self defense shooting.

i dont think it would be any different than using surplus m855 and similar
  • Like 1

It's just the writing on the box that threw me. It also say's, "Tactical Rifle Urban." :laugh:

Edited by Joel74

There might be some kind of small rumble if you lived in Houston, DFW , San Antonio or Austin but I doubt it.

I must be attracted to LE ammo. The case of Speer Gold Dot 223 Rem 75 Gr is LE ammo too. Nothing about sales to agencies though. It does say duty ammunition.

It does say duty ammunition.

That means that it's your duty to shoot it.

• Like 2

Winchester Ranger says something similar too. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

It's just the writing on the box that threw me. It also say's, "Tactical Rifle Urban." :laugh:

They didnt have enough room on the box to fit Operator on the end. :laugh:

That is not illegal to own in Texas. As mentioned it's just the desire of the manufacturer to restrict who they sell it to.

That is not illegal to own in Texas. As mentioned it's just the desire of the manufacturer to restrict who they sell it to.

It's not illegal anywhere similar design, non-marked ammunition is legal. Manufacturers like to restrict it. The most serious restriction I've seen was Winchester with the old "Black Talon" ammo, and the "Ranger-T" ammo. They would dictate that any of their dealers selling to civilians would be blackballed by their distributors, and not get a single round of ammunition. I don't know if they still do it or not, but that was what I was told was common practice back a few years. Needless to say, most any shop that did any real business at all didn't risk it .

Throw away the box ....problem solved :segrin:

It's not illegal anywhere similar design, non-marked ammunition is legal. Manufacturers like to restrict it. The most serious restriction I've seen was Winchester with the old "Black Talon" ammo, and the "Ranger-T" ammo. They would dictate that any of their dealers selling to civilians would be blackballed by their distributors, and not get a single round of ammunition. I don't know if they still do it or not, but that was what I was told was common practice back a few years. Needless to say, most any shop that did any real business at all didn't risk it .

Ive only found the Ranger stuff at one store, bought a bunch years ago, still holding on to half a box in the 45 acp flavor.

Talking to one of my CCW instructors, Ranger T is the exact same as the old Black Talons.