Retcop

Speer Gold Dot 64 grain .223

I know every barrel is different, but has anyone, including LEO's

had the chance to sight this round in with a 1:9 barrel twist ?

I have not had a chance to shoot what I got in my RRA LAR 15.

And PSA still has it for 10 bucks a box, again with free shipping this time, which I missed last time...

That is one hell of a deal for that ammo, IF it will be accurate in my 1:9

Thanks for the heads up newbe !!!

john

Edited by Retcop

Give it a try and let us know how how it does!

It will be stable. Just curious how accurate it will be. It gets great reviews.

PSA is having deals on all of their ammo today, including Speer gold dot... Good prices

I don't have a 1X9" twist barrel, but that bullet weight is in the gtg weight for that twist.

I would get some and shoot some groups. If it does well get more.

I'm a "heavier bullet" guy in rifles and a "light and fast" or "middleweight" guy in pistols.

So in self defense with a rifle, I go with the heaviest bullet that shoots well in my carbine/rifle.

KyAR

I don't have a 1X9" twist barrel, but that bullet weight is in the gtg weight for that twist.

I would get some and shoot some groups. If it does well get more.

I'm a "heavier bullet" guy in rifles and a "light and fast" or "middleweight" guy in pistols.

So in self defense with a rifle, I go with the heaviest bullet that shoots well in my carbine/rifle.

KyAR

I wish I could afford to shoot the heavier bullets en mass in a 1:7 twist. (Not reloading at this point)

Definitely the best stopper for our little cartridge that could.

But I don't see these heavier cartridges sold in bulk at decent prices, unless I have just not tried hard enough since I have a 1:9 twist.

IMO, that rate is perfect for the least expensive 55 and 62 grain bulk bullets. I want the rounds sealed and the case necks annealed.

My AR is a defensive weapon, and I want a decent stock of ammo on hand.

I could never afford to keep anywhere near the number of SOST type rounds on hand as I could X193....

so there you go. If I need something larger, I have a .30 caliber....should do the job.

That 400 rounds of Speer will give me years of a few mags of fresh ammo for protecting the house from criminals, or an initial load out.

If it gets worse than that, I will have to break out the Lake City....

BTW: I prefer heavier bullets in my sidearm....that has been changing a bit over the years as ammo has improved.

Still don't prefer the really light screamers in handguns. Human bodies are too unpredictable and don't resemble ballistic gelatin.

Edited by Retcop

Well, don't sell the M193 short either. It's a good stopper and depending on barrier has good penetration.

It's not good at brick, concrete and such, but it will blow through level III hard plate that would stop the M855/SS109. Yes you read that right.

The M193 is fast, and because of that will penetrate the armor that the slower heavier M855 won't.

As a general self-defense round, the Speer Gold Dot 64gr is very good. It has good barrier blind performance, exspands well and I have found to be accurate.

As how it will shoot in your 1X9" twist, I don't know. You would have to test it. It should perform well though, as ever though it's heavier than the 62gr M855, the Gold DOT is not as long as it. That is really the key on what shoots in that twist rate.

The Gold Dot is all lead and jacketing, where as the M855 has a steel core, and steel being lighter than lead to get the weight up, equals longer bullet.

I say that it would shoot just fine in your rifle, 1X9" twist can shoot up to 75gr BTHP in some barrels and that is longer then either the 62gr M855 or Speer Gold Dot.

I would get a box or two, try it out. If it meets your accuracy criteria stock up!

KyAR

• Like 1

Speer gold dot LE ammo on sale again for $6.99 a box, down from $20.00 on PSA website... Just incase someone wants some...

Speer gold dot LE ammo on sale again for $6.99 a box, down from $20.00 on PSA website... Just incase someone wants some...

$6.99 or $9.99?

Gol Dang, free shipping too???????

$6.99 or $9.99?

It was $9.99... Sorry Newbe!! Still good deal?

It was $9.99... Sorry Newbe!! Still good deal?

Yes. $6.99 would have been an even better deal! Lol
  • Like 1

I was going to be all over that $6.99 and free shipping. :laugh:

• Like 1

Sorry Sarge!!!

Sorry Sarge!!!

LOL. Believe me August, it's no sweat.

• Like 1

You and me both! :lol:
  • Like 1