AR15Armory.com

Seeking Advice on Optics

ncm0311

I'm purchasing a Daniel Defense M4 V5 S and have a few different optics I'm debating... I plan on using the rifle for target shooting, 10m-300m. The optics I'm eye-balling are... The Leupold AR MOD 1 3-9X 40mm Mil-Dot & the Vortex Venom Red-Dot (obviously I'd have to change them out) --OR-- the EOTech 518 w/ the G33 3X magnifier??

Also, would the Atlas BT10 work for shooting both from the prone and off a bench with a 30rd mag or would you suggest a 20 or even a 10rd mag??

Thanks for your help/advise in advance.

If your shooting targets there is no benefit to large cap mags. You'll probably check your target grouping after 3-5 shots anyway. For targets I would not use a red dot and magnifyer. 3x is not much at 300 yards unless your just looking for combat accuracy. Get a good ffp scope.

A good 1-4x24 or 1-6x24 scope should fill your needs just fine. Personally, I like the VORTEX VIPER PST 1-4x24 and the VORTEX Strike Eagle 1-6x24. I also use the Primary Arms 1-4x24 and the Millett DMS 1-4x24. If you prefer Leupold, they have their VX-6 1-6x24, but they are nearly $1K, whereas the Strike Eagle is right around $330.

• Like 1

I have a few 10 rd Pmags for shooting off the bench, like Barry said, you'll probably be checking hits after 3 or 5 anyway... :)

This is pretty much what I do when sighting in whether with an optic or iron sights. I will fire three shots, then check my shots with my spotting scope. If needed, I make adjustments, fire again, and check with the spotting scope. I advise everyone to get a spotting scope. I have one made by Barska that I bought about 12 years ago from Sportsmans Guide and it works great.

• Like 1