AR15Armory.com

Difficulty in Getting CCP/CWP

Mikeybonez28

In my last post, I said I'm moving to free country & thanks to the power of Wikipedia I saw that PA is listed as a SHALL issue state for Concealed Carry Permits & I'm wondering how much red tape there is with that & the cost of the permit. I know I have to transfer my license over first but that's about it. I know a felony would be a red flag but I'm good as far as that goes. Here in NYC the only way to get a CCP is if you're a retired LEO, military (no DD) or handle a $h!t ton of cash on a regular basis or you grease the right palms which I don't have the $$ for

Also, what do you guys & gals carry? I've always been a fan of the 1911's and if I can get my wife to come over to "the dark side" I figured a .25 or .32 for the her because of the recoil or lack thereof. For myself, I prefer the knockdown or stay down power of a .45 versus the capacity of a 9mm or smaller calibers. I like the idea of the B.I.Y option (I love building/making stuff) but the 1911's are pricey as hell & I'm not too sure if I can build a .45 Glock on the frames that are available from Polymer80

Here in TN, another shall issue state, there is a class you have to attend, most of them are one day, demonstrate you can hit the target and basic knowledge is when and where you can carry, when you can shoot and go through the drivers license office to get the permit. Beginning to end if you don't drag your feet 90-120 days.

Not at all difficult here in Lancaster county. Go to the Sherif's office, fill out the form, get photographed, pay your fee, wait for 30-45 days, receive your approval notice and go back and pick it up. I have renewed, and that is a 1 day event. You should be GTG...

I am going to try my best to address the issue of caliber for your wife for self defense (SD)

If she is really that recoil adverse, I firmly believe she would certainly be better off

with a .22 magnum than a .25 ACP, and possibly even the .32 ACP.

The .25 is infamous for poor penetration, including up close and personal.

I have read a number of reports where the .25 failed to penetrate, and in fact know a young man who

was struck just about square in the forehead with a .25. The FMJ bullet did not even fracture the skull,

and traveled underneath his scalp and stopped in the rear portion of his scalp.

While the .32 is more potent, it is still dismally under powered. FMJ is basically your only option. I am unaware

of any .32 hollowpoint that will expand in the first place, and if the manufacturer get the bullet design to expand,

the depth of penetration will be compromised to the degree that the round is worthless for SD.

As a former Police Firearms Instructor, I have taught many people to shoot a handgun that have never shot one before,

and some who are recoil adverse. More importantly, I have taught my wife and 2 now adult daughters how to shoot a pistol.

One shoots a G19 (9mm house gun) and carries either the Glock or a Ruger LCP9 mm. She has also shot a S&W J-frame snubbie

with .38 special +P ammo. (NOT a god first gun, IMO)

The other daughter either has her Ruger GP 100 .357 magnum with a 4 inch barrel or a Glock .45 house gun.

You may want to consider that may be selling your wife short, and doing this properly is going to take some time and patience.

The first step is to get her hooked on pistol shooting. IMO it is absolutely critical to start her off with a quality .22 pistol that takes

.22 long rifle. (NOT a .22 magnum)

Since there is very little recoil in an ~4 inch barrel .22 pistol or revolver, the next critical thing is to make sure she has very good hearing

protection. Some people can become adverse to shooting not because of the recoil, but because of the loud BANG. I would suggest a

quality pair of electronic muffs so she can hear what is going on around her, instructions from the trainer, squibb loads, etc.

Which brings us to the next point, which is a little personal, but must be spoken about. If you are not experienced and proficient with guns of the hand,

you should not be training your wife, and maybe training for yourself might not be a bad idea. [I have no idea of your experience level]

Secondly, some couples simply have a type of relationship that does not make for the most comfortable atmosphere with one in the role of trainer and one in the role of trainee. Only you and your wife can answer that question, and you guys should talk about it. It is important to keep the range sessions fun and relatively short. Let her decide when it is time to go. If you can set up a .22 backstop on your property, all the better. Keep especially the first targets large and fun. Balloons, swinging steel plates for .22 are cheap or the old soda can (full or empty) Shooting clays make great cheap reactive targets.

IMO, start your wife with a quality regular size .22 LR pistol and let her pick it out if you don't already have one.

After much work on the fundamentals with the the .22, find a range that rents handguns.

I would move next to the .22 magnum, but if you have done enough work with the .22 LR, my best guess

that she would be able to handle one of the relatively larger and heavier pistols in their class chambered for .380 ACP.

Do not hand her a micro small pistol in .380. There will be significant recoil and muzzle blast for someone inexperienced.

Ruger makes a .380 ACP that is about the same size and weight as their 9mm carry pistol,

but there are even larger and heavier pistols in .380 like a PPK that might be a best first centerfire trial gun.

Your wife has to understand that you just don't throw a pistol on your hip, pocket, car, or purse and consider yourself prepared to defend yourself

with a firearm. There is a commitment to get trained and stay trained. I got the sense from your post that you are kind of in a hurry,

but I urge you to slow down, do your research and shoot as many guns as you can get her hands on. And remember, she has to pick the pistol

that is right for her. You never know, if you do it the right way, and give her the time to develop her skills, she may end up carrying a 9MM !

IF, and I do mean IF, neither of you have much experience with shooting or carrying sidearms, I can not suggest professional training strongly enough.

Please trust me when I say to start her with a .22 LR.

Keep everything light and fun, and JOB ONE in "coming over from the darkside" is firearm safety. Nothing is more important than that.

Good luck and have fun !

John

I didn't plan on training her myself (limited handgun experience) but i would have to get her & myself trained for handguns, rifles Im fine with, Id start her with something small, the AR might be a good platform for her too, low recoil, decent ergonomics & customizable. Once I make the move I'll try and find more info regarding a trainer

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I didn't plan on training her myself (limited handgun experience) but i would have to get her & myself trained for handguns, rifles Im fine with, Id start her with something small, the AR might be a good platform for her too, low recoil, decent ergonomics & customizable. Once I make the move I'll try and find more info regarding a trainer

I hope you guys find learning about and shooting handguns together is something that will not only be fun, exciting, and bring peace of mind,

but that it will be something that opens a door to something you guys can enjoy doing together for a lifetime. :thumb:

Edited by Retcop

Not at all difficult here in Lancaster county. Go to the Sherif's office, fill out the form, get photographed, pay your fee, wait for 30-45 days, receive your approval notice and go back and pick it up. I have renewed, and that is a 1 day event. You should be GTG...

'Bout the same here Berks as well. No big deal - just some time.

Our realtor the other day helped my wife along i think. We started talking about guns & told me that she's got a ruger, probably a .22 but still my wife got along with her great & now she's a gun girl too? Thats even better for me. I want to take her to Sunset range (its the closest i know of) once I get the AR built & show her that a gun is no more evil than the operator is.

My wife started with a sig p238. I bought her some ammo and a hour lesson from a female range master. After about a year she came to me wanting a full size 9mm. We got her a fnx9. She is a lefty so this pistol is great for a lefty.

Point is start small and let her tell you when to move up. Also the one on one was key for her

Now she is asking when we are getting another AR for her [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we could skip all the small stuff & jump right to the AR's that would be great lol. But i know it doesn't work that way. I'll probably just take her to the range with me to get a feel for the place & slowly introduce her to hands on & get some training

• 6 months later...

Beaver County..you walk in, fill out a form, show your ID, they ask one question - cash or check - and you walk out with your CCP. 10 minutes tops.

The challenge in PA is the weird law about transporting firearms - you may ONLY transport them from home to ffl (or back), to range and back, or to hunting area with a huntiing license and only NON-STOP. You stop to eat, get gas, take a leak - you broke the law.
the penalty is you may no longer own a gun in PA. Strict? yep.

Another odd thing is we're an open carry state - great. Until you get in your car, then it's concealed and you best have a permit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Not even difficult in Pittsburgh (Allegheny Co.) - just renewed mine the other day (paperwork takes a few minutes - but I went on a Wednesday morning (about 9:45am) & had the office to myself - $20 cash & I was out the door for another 6 years in less than 5 minutes - basically a $20 Sheriff's Dept. tax stamp in PA.  Had to take the Utah class in KY in '99 for my first CCW, but never had to here.