Sign in to follow this  
CityfiedHillbilly

Central Ohio .... Any Rifle Ranges nearby?

Wow! This forum seems to be pretty much dead. Heard crickets when I opened the door.

But, I'll try this out anyway.

I've got access to a whole bunch of private land to shoot/hunt on about 2 hours south of Columbus, OH.

But, I'd like to find a range with 300+ yard targets a little closer to home if possible.

I'm currently in the Republic of Illinois (thank the maker I'm not near Chicago).

However, I am moving Back to Ohio in a month or so. :eekout:

So, where can a fella find a range near Columbus? Prefer a public one. But, if worth it, I'd pay membership.

Thanks to anyone who stumbles onto this thread and has a suggestion.

Hey Im down in Warren County just north of Cincinnati. It's good to see this part of the joint being used again. There are a few rifle ranges around here. The one closest to me is the Spring Valley range ( state owned).

Edited by RetDet

100 yards

I knew the State Parks had some ranges. But I "thought" the one at Deer Creek had been closed down.

I guess there was another one near there that got closed down. And the State one is still open. Only 100 yards too.

But it's only 30 minutes away. Maybe closer.

Would still like to find some place that has longer ranges that isn't too far away. But doubt that is going to happen.

100 is plenty good for load testing and sighting in.

Yeah its getting harder to find a good range. I have a friend who has a small farm. He has excavated the rear of his property but can only manage 75 yards for a range. This is where I have been shooting lately.

Well, as I mentioned above, I have access to roughly 750 acres of private land to hunt/shoot on down on the Ohio River.

But, it's 2+ hours one way.

So, unless I plan to make a weekend of it, it's a bit of a pain. However, having a 100 yard range close by may ease that a bit.

Yeah I understand for sure.

I was just in ohio for 16 years. Public ranges are horrible. Man. Calls for cease fires and yahoos, and range fees and such. You need to find a farmer that needs groundhogs shot or you could trade some mowing grass for range time.

Look up thunder valley and see how far it is. Its a good range but its hard to get an available time to get in there. They got a lot stricter with the new range master. Its a lot of red tape.

How much distance are you looking for? Theres a bit of a loophole in the public lands for rifle shooting in that your allowed to shoot a few critters year around. Coyotes and groundhogs. You need a friend with land. sorry I don't have better news. That was sone of the reasons I moved out west.

• Like 1

I was just in ohio for 16 years. Public ranges are horrible. Man. Calls for cease fires and yahoos, and range fees and such. You need to find a farmer that needs groundhogs shot or you could trade some mowing grass for range time.

Look up thunder valley and see how far it is. Its a good range but its hard to get an available time to get in there. They got a lot stricter with the new range master. Its a lot of red tape.

How much distance are you looking for? Theres a bit of a loophole in the public lands for rifle shooting in that your allowed to shoot a few critters year around. Coyotes and groundhogs. You need a friend with land. sorry I don't have better news. That was sone of the reasons I moved out west.

Like I said, I have access to 750 acres 2.5 hours away. Just looking for something a bit closer to home.

Thanks for the reply!

Hey Im down in Warren County just north of Cincinnati. It's good to see this part of the joint being used again. There are a few rifle ranges around here. The one closest to me is the Spring Valley range ( state owned).

Howdy, I'm down in Cincinnati and I belong to the Miami Rifle and Pistol Club in Clermont county, just to the east of Cincinnati. Membership is about $120 per year and it includes a 600 yard rifle range.

• Like 1