kramden

Best ammo for Hogs/ coyotes

Just picked up my first AR. Got an M&P .556 . Like to do alittle hog and coyote hunting. Looking for some ammo suggestions.

If you don't load your own American eagles do pretty good.

gallery_29686_278_302190.jpggallery_29686_278_855278.jpgcc-5-19.jpg

Any of the varied loads which have the 62gr TSX are good. Hornady GMX's also do well.

Winchester has several 64gr loads which will also do the deed.

Federal does a 60gr partition.

That said the only load I ever shot deer with was a 55gr soft point and it worked extremely well on some large bodied Montana deer. Shot placement is key. Put one in the boiler room from direct broadside and you will end up with a dead deer in short order.

Range? I like corelokt in my bigger bores and wouldn't hesitate to use them in the smaller caliber and animals.

Just picked up my first AR. Got an M&P .556 . Like to do alittle hog and coyote hunting. Looking for some ammo suggestions.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Where are you shooting hogs here in Wisconsin?? Take me with you!! :)

Guess we're lucky here in Wis. we don't have them. We go to Florida in the winter. They're not quite so lucky. But we do have plenty of coyotes. Anyhow just wanting to get the best ammo for that type of hunting.

• Like 1

Guess we're lucky here in Wis. we don't have them. We go to Florida in the winter. They're not quite so lucky. But we do have plenty of coyotes. Anyhow just wanting to get the best ammo for that type of hunting.

Do you have a range that g,ones beyond 100 yards?? Let me know! Nothing around the Fox Valley....

Come up north and let's go coyote hunting!! :)

Congrats. S&W makes a great AR!

I use http://www.hprammo.com/ (Hyper Clean } 60 grain V Max for my deer hunting ammo in a Windham rifle with a 1/9 twist barrel and get great results.

I have tried other brands ,bullet types and weights at the range as well as in the woods and for me personally Hyper Clean ammo delivers tight groups on paper and impressive damage path on white tail deer in the area I hunt and at the distances I encounter.

I use my rifle in heavy woods and under brush at ranges that stay usually under 70 to 80 yards and pick my shot carefully ,if I have any doubt on making a clean kill I will pass ,for me so far I have taken 5 deer with 5 shots and none ran over 50 yards before piling up.I have a pic posted in the thread titled The Little Rifle That Could elsewhere in this forum that is a good report for the Hyper Clean ammo

For piggies as you know you will need a bullet that will have good penetration and a controlled expansion to get to the vitals and will need to hold till you have a good shot to avoid run offs

I have also played with the American Eagle ammo pictured above and it is a good solid shooting ammo and will work great on coyotes and shoots almost the same as the Hyper Clean at the same distance,very minor adjustments to scope at 100 yards( usually 2 or 3 clicks on each adjustment knob to dial it in on a Bushnell AR/223 scope ).

The only thing that I have found to be concerned with on pigs is how fast the bullets knockdown bleeds off as the distance to target increases ( hence making da*^ sure of your shot placement )

Would I use my rifle on pigs? Sure !! Out to around 100 yards maybe a bit further out depending on bullet type and size of the pig ...Be sure to spend alot of time pouring over bullet specs to find a load your rifle likes and will work for the area and distance you hunt .The AR 15 will serve you very well

Hope this information helps you choose your hunting ammo !!

And last but not least happy hunting !!

Edited by Lazrid