kramden

Blackout Ammo....What is it.

I'm new to this. I see the term "Blackout Ammo" . What is it?? Thanks

.300 Blackout is a cartridge developed for an AR platform that emulates the ballistics of the 7.62x39 AK cartridge.

7.62x35. Uses all the same parts buy barrel as 223

It is available with a variety of projectile weights. The 100-120 grain bullets are loaded supersonic, just over 2000 FPS; there are also SUB-sonic rounds with bullets 180-230 grains in weight than run 900-1050 FPS.

The 300 Blackout is popular for the NFA collector crowd for 3 reasons:

-Full powder burn in a 8"-9" barrel. No performance penalty in a short barrel rifle, unlike 5.56/.223 which takes a large performance hit and is generally not advised for use in barrels shorter than 10.5".

-Subsonic rounds are pretty quiet when shot through a suppressor (aka silencer).

-Designed to work in the AR without a bunch of oddball parts, just a barrel swap.

They're a successful deer round, suppressed hog round, and a good 30 cal option in the AR pltform.

7.62x35. Uses all the same parts buy but barrel as 223

Ftfy

Don't buy a 223 barrel for a 300 rifle! It'll go bang, just not in the way you want.

I believe it was designed for the elite fighting forces of the US, to give a cartridge with more punch than the 5.56, when loaded supersonic, and more punch than a suppressed 9mm when running suppressed.

When suppressed, it is extremely quiet.

It's kind of a specialty cartridge with a niche, though a very popular niche.

They're a successful deer round, suppressed hog round, and a good 30 cal option in the AR pltform.

This is why I am building a .300BO hunting rifle. Accuracy of my purpose built .223/5.56 is outstanding and there are many capable hunting rounds in these calibers but sometimes the .30 cal wallop is useful. Besides, its fun building these guns. I have BRD.