AR15Armory.com

RIP Chief David Bald Eagle

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36903794

"Native American Chief David Bald Eagle, who appeared in the Oscar-winning 1990 film Dances With Wolves, has died aged 97.

The grandson of Chief White Bull, who fought in the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876, Bald Eagle appeared in more than 40 films.

He went on to become the face of South Dakota's Lakota people.

He died at his home on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation on 22 July, according to a local funeral home."

Seemed like he lived a full life. RIP.

Edited by broke_shooter

• 3 years later...

Old post but topical. I note on his cap is the 101st Airborne Division shoulder patch pin, top pin. Just before June 6 many 101st troops went to the barber and got a Mohawk hair cut, then when exiting the plane they yelled Geronimo, a tribute to the American Indian warriors. The 101st Recondos had two teams, Apache and Hatchet. We had quite a few American Indians in the 101st during the 60s.

RIP paratrooper.

Edited by Recondo 101

44 minutes ago, Recondo 101 said:

Old post but topical. I note on his cap is the 101st Airborne Division shoulder patch pin, top pin. Just before June 6 many 101st troops went to the barber and got a Mohawk hair cut, then when exiting the plane they yelled Geronimo, a tribute to the American Indian warriors. The 101st Recondos had two teams, Apache and Hatchet. We had quite a few American Indians in the 101st during the 60s.

RIP paratrooper.

FWIW, I remember seeing pictures of WWII paratroopers jumping with Mohawks, and that would have been consistent with when Chief David Bald Eagle was in.

Yep, when I got to the 101st in 64 we still had 50-70% of the senior NCOs and Officers were WWII veterans of what we called “The Brigades” the Airborne Brigades predated the Divisions. The Divisions were formed close to D Day but if you watch Band of Brothers you will note they refer to their unit in terms of the Brigade numbers, 501st, 503rd, etc. these guys were the founders of the legend of the 101st. They basically left England as a Brigade unit and returned as members of the 101st Airborne Div. unit, the brigades became battalions, then they continued on, unless wounded or KIA.