Sign in to follow this  
Lt.Smoke

Knive sharpening

How does one go about sharpening the serrations on a blade properly so as not to damage them?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

If you already have a knife sharpener setup see if it has an accessory for serrated blades

• Like 1

I used to use a tapered diamond stick, it dealt with most serrations I had on my blades, much better than some of the ones that come with the kits

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Smoke, it depends on 'what type' of serrations your knife has. For example: Spyderco, Cold Steel, Columbia River [Veff Serrations], Regular, etc. Lansky makes sharpeners for different serrated configurations, some of these a 'proprietary', or brand-specific types of blade treatments. A dedicated sharpener, makes it that much easier.

http://lansky.com/index.php/serrated/

• Like 1

Smoke, it depends on 'what type' of serrations your knife has. For example: Spyderco, Cold Steel, Columbia River [Veff Serrations], Regular, etc. Lansky makes sharpeners for different serrated configurations, some of these a 'proprietary', or brand-specific types of blade treatments. A dedicated sharpener, makes it that much easier.

That's my choice also

Thanks for the info, sir.

Is there a specific model on the page you linked to that you have used and can recommend ?

If you have tried several, can you give us the pros and cons on different styles of sharpeners or on specific models?

Thanks,

john

Serrations do survive better against abrasive materials such as cardboard, I also preferred them for cutting carpet padding when I was driving flat bed, other than stuff like that I'll use a regular blade. Problem with serrations is some require a spherical stone, some an eliptic, others a rounded off triangular. I learned to cheat mine and sharpen with a conical from the unsharpened side and basically reprofiling the serrations.