smb5769

Decisions decisions, buy or build

Well, I have my lower built, and started the search for an upper for 300 BO. I don't know that I can afford an upper outright, so I started looking at parts to build one since I know a local guy who has built ARs before and think he'll help me put them together. I thought I had hard decisions with what trigger and lpk to get, but upper parts? Oh my goodness. Where do I begin? Would I be better saving money to buy a complete upper? From who? If not, then I have to start picking parts. I think I'm set on a Blackhole barrel, and either a PSA or Aero BCG but don't have a clue on what else. I'd really like to keep my cost down near 400 which means I'll be waiting til Black Friday sales more than likely if that's even a realistic expectation. The barrel and BCG already bumps the 400 mark not even counting CH receiver and handguard. Of course this is all dependent on whether I decide to skip any uppers and buy a few more lowers. Can anyone give me a little guidance?

PSA had a smoking deal on BCG's and charge handles combinations this weekend.

Greg

• Like 1

PSA had a smoking deal on BCG's and charge handles combinations this weekend.

Greg

Yep. Their deals are awesome, those emails every day/weekend are going to be the death of my credit card.

I thought I was on their list but haven't been getting emails. I'm still stuck on the save and buy or build bit by bit part. What's best to do? If I build, I'm just bewildered at the variety of parts manufacturers.

You can always "assemble" your ar. Buy a complete lower, upper and BCG with charging handle and you have a complete ar while still saving money. PSA runs great deals on uppers and complete lowers. I've used sunnystateoutdoors.com for NiB BCG at great prices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Edited by SamAdams

Ive got a wish list over at Delta Team Tactical, complete 300 BO upper pistolvlength 16" with bcg & ch for a lil under $300. Might not be the best quality but it's the best deal ive seen. I just need some cash to bring it home

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I prefer bravo company for the gas block. I've had the easiest gas tube block assembly when I used the bcm gas block.

For a good BCG go to aims surplus. Get the nickel boron or the nitride coated. They are gtg. Bcm also makes a great charging handle. Any upper receiver should work fine, if you buy from a good company and bcm has blem upper receivers for a good price. Or try mad defense for a complete upper. It may be a good fit for your budget. You can build it how you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSA had a one day only sale, complete .300BO upper with Mlock free float for $289.99. With that and the blem complete lower for $159.99, all you needed to do was wait one day til the HPT/MPI BCG and CH were on sale for $99.99. You could have a whole .300 BO rifle for less than $600 after shipping and transfer fees. You cant build one for that. I was kinda pissed as I had just bought my .300 barrel at MidwayUSA. PSA doesnt put the .300 on sale much but IF I had waited two weeks I guarantee I would own one. The 16" Carbine length, Stainless 1:8 barrel for $109.99 was just too good to pass up. If I had the money, I would have scooped the PSA deal up to get shooting faster and used the OD green lower I bought for another project! My timing sux, as usual, lol.

• Like 1

Hmm. Hopefully save and spend will be the right plan. Get a complete upper first and then I may make the step of total build later. So far I already have the lower built loosely based on others suggestions here. I was just picking brains on here to see what everyone else had to say. The lower was easy but seems like the variety of options for uppers is much higher. It would tickle me pink if I managed to get 400 saved up just in time for a deal like that.

Edited by smb5769

With PSA timing is everything and keeping up with their emails. They can sell out of an item quickly and if you wait a couple of hours, you may miss out. I keep trying to grab a box or two of .22WMR shells @ $14.99 but they are always sold out by the time I get home and check my mail. My cell is geared for business email exchange and I dont have time to check anything anyway at work. $10 mil project six weeks behind, 5 superintendents, 7 employees and a boss man. Yeah I have time to watch my private email and cruise the internet. Sheesh, I will be glad when this one closes out.

Oowee! I hope you can catch up! Good luck! I haven't been getting their emails even though I've signed up repeatedly.