Sign in to follow this  
Longhair

The AMA Takes Aim At L.E.D. Lighting

This has got to be the brainchild of some overpaid educated idiots.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/led-lights-sleepless-insomnia/2016/09/25/id/750060/?ns_mail_uid=32156575&ns_mail_job=1689546_09262016&s=al&dkt_nbr=koukgoxr

Next they will want to put out the sun because looking at it can cause eye damage.

If the street lights are interrupting your sleep rhythm, then you need close your frikkin blinds. What a dumbass article.

I design with LED lighting every day. It's my job. LED lighting is far less obnoxious than HID or fluorescent. Because of the way it can be distributed, it's far easier on the eyes at night. And that invisible blue light is BS too.

A typical LED street or parking light is 3000 to 5000 degrees Kelvin. They're usually 4000 degrees K. The sun itself is 6000 degrees K, emitting FAR more blues than any standard LED light fixture ever will. The sun is also full of Ultra-Violet radiation, which your typical LED lighting fixture does not have. That's why Museums are all switching to LED lighting, no UV to deteriorate artwork. I'm not sure what's behind that article. Maybe the Fluorescent or HID lighting companies are pushing an agenda. The LED lighting industry has all but left every other lighting in the dust. I don't even remember the last time I specified a high pressure sodium or a metal halide light fixture.

• Like 1

We've know for decades Florescent lights cause seizures.

I always enjoy the "Unintended consequences" of liberal politicians. At one point when they controlled congress and Obama, they outlawed the classic incandescent bulb in favor of the CFLs, which allowed GE to close all its US plants then invest in CFLs in India. Not for a minute did they see they were creating the market for LEDs which China is the world king.

It wasn't till these lawyer politicians discovered their law would put more mercury in the US than when we had mercury thermometers and they were basically due to availability outlawing light fixtures in every home in the US that they backed off. Of course, after GE successfully did its thing and tens of thousands of high paying jobs went to India.

What a surprise that instead of buying the government "Preferred" product, American are actually buying what really does last longer, work best, and cost less.

If all it took was put an American name on a POS product, we'd all be watching Sylvania TVs which btw, TVs are bad for your health.

TJ

You also have to look at the bigger picture, which is the greater government intrusion into your life due to linking it all together by making it a medical issue.

Obamacare (intended to lead to single payer) will soon feed the feds more information on you than even you have access to.

I quit answering questions at the doctor's office a long time ago that didn't have a direct bearing on the reason that I was there. Soon it won't be just questions about guns and vehicles, but will include the lights in your home, the material your clothes are made of, what you think of your neighbors, etc.......

I don't like LEDs on non-rectified AC current, especially if they are not somewhat diffused. They are 60hz strobe lights on AC.

Yes, they seem harsh that way. Rectified or diffused makes it much better.