AR15Armory.com

Rifle caliber

Jaeger48

I am also a big 308 fan but the more I look into it the more the 7MM-08 is a good cartridge too. Light offerings all the way up to stuff for elk and bison. Built on the 308 cartridge but necked down for a somewhat lighter but higher BC 7MM round it shots faster and flatter than the 308 does.

While there is little chance I will ever be restricted to a single hunting cartridge, if I was, it would be the .30-06. Nothing in the lower 48 it can't kill cleanly, and the diversity of available factory ammunition is almost amazing. From lightweight barn burners, to the 220 gr elk loads, nothing else in my experience gives as wide a selection of factory offerings. Funny thing is, I don't have a .30-06 currently. My wife does, but I don't. I need to fix that. I also need another .45-70, another .243, and some other blasters now that my shotgun deficiency has been taken care of.

I am also a big 308 fan but the more I look into it the more the 7MM-08 is a good cartridge too. Light offerings all the way up to stuff for elk and bison. Built on the 308 cartridge but necked down for a somewhat lighter but higher BC 7MM round it shots faster and flatter than the 308 does.

A few years ago I almost bought a 7mm-08. Everything I could find out about the round said it performs very well, about equal to or slightly better than a .308 The biggest "plus" was the recoil, around 25% less. My thinking was it would make a perfect round for women or older children. That's not to say that it isn't a good round for anyone but the lighter recoil makes it an attractive option for the smaller framed hunter. I never really found enough information on it that would knock out the .308 but I still really want one. http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm-08+Remington.html

Edited by devil duck

Given the advances in bullets over the last 30 years, when I bought my 7mm-08, it has certainly not gotten any less effective as a hunting round. The reason I picked it was the use I had planned for it then. My plan was to use it for deer hunting and in the off season use it for some metallic silhouette and maybe a little long range play. It was going to be my 1 hunting rifle so I had to make some compromises. I went with the Remington 700 Varmint. Yes I got looks deer hunting with a heavy barrel, but it worked and I was young so carrying it up mountains wasn't a big deal.

As a deer round it is second to none. I never had a deer that ever needed a second shot. Just factory 140gr Core-Lokts and then 140 Ballistic tips. Ranges from 10 feet to 440 yards.

I shot silhouette on a reduced range so I went with 100gr HP's with a just below max load. It worked like a charm and also turned groundhogs inside out.

For long range I shot 168gr Sierra's. I didn't shoot it much and probably have some still floating around.

When I went bear hunting I loaded up some 175gr Nosler Partitions. I didn't load them hot, about 2250fps because shooting a bear at 20-30 yards isn't that tough. I know I still have some of those floating around. I only ever shot one animal with one. A deer, because I wanted to see what it would do. It did exactly as I had hoped. Complete penetration from brisket to tail, straight on through.

That was a great rifle. It would shoot 1/2" groups with the good stuff and would shoot everything I ever tried within an inch of everything else. 100gr-175gr they all landed darn close together.

If I had ever gone after elk with it I would have used the 140gr partition and felt completely well armed. Moose would probably get a 160 or a 175gr because ranges are typically shorter than for elk.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the 6.5mm family. They're incredible for long range with a gentle recoil for fast follow ups and ability to view the shot in your scope. The long range shooting world is dominated by 6.5s, not .30 cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk