AR15Armory.com

Rifle caliber

Jaeger48

I like the 6.5mm family. They're incredible for long range with a gentle recoil for fast follow ups and ability to view the shot in your scope. The long range shooting world is dominated by 6.5s, not .30 cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please take no offense but long range shooting (targets) is not the same as long range hunting esp. on elk size game ...

So, the question is- if you needed 1 caliber to hunt coyote to elk what would it be?

... I'm a big 6.5/.264 fan but I will take my .300 WM or larger anytime when it comes to elk.

Edited by FEENIX

Please take no offense but long range shooting (targets) is not the same as long range hunting esp. on elk size game ...

... I'm a big 6.5/.264 fan but I will take my .300 WM or larger anytime when it comes to elk.

No offense taken. I've killed elk since the early '80s and I've done it with everything from a .243 to a 300 H&H and they're all equally dead. Currently, I'm shooting them with a .260, 6.5 Creedmoor and a .300wm. I'm only shooting them out to 500yds. Sure, I prefer my 300wm but the OP's question was for a do-it-all caliber for predators to elk. For me, that'd be one of my 6.5s.

No offense taken. I've killed elk since the early '80s and I've done it with everything from a .243 to a 300 H&H and they're all equally dead. Currently, I'm shooting them with a .260, 6.5 Creedmoor and a .300wm. I'm only shooting them out to 500yds. Sure, I prefer my 300wm but the OP's question was for a do-it-all caliber for predators to elk. For me, that'd be one of my 6.5s.

I was OK with all of it until you included "long range in the mix". As noted in my response #28, the .300 WM is my go to chambering. My last MT bull elk harvest was at 931 yards with 190 Berger VLD.

Shot placement is still the key but sometimes Murphy gets on the way; it took my hunting buddy two passed through shot at lungs and needed a third shot at the front shoulder using 180 Barnes TTSX off his .300 WM at less than 100 yards before the elk finally expired.

Every situation is different, both bullets used worked as advertised but the elk expired differently. I do however, agree that it boils down to personal preference.

Cheers!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Edited by FEENIX