Sign in to follow this  
Casper

Hey, old people! What size light for bedside?

Advice wanted.

My parents are stuck in the 1980s as far as flashlights go. They each have piss poor flashlights with weak light and as big as a football.

I want to get them a couple nicer lights for when the power goes out.

Looking at this fenix:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I14HLLS/ref=pd_gwm_simh_4?pf_rd_p=d4d67636-ce56-42ac-a569-2a72b6446394&pf_rd_s=grid-34&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=Z3492FD7CPZRF6XB6P33&pf_rd_r=Z3492FD7CPZRF6XB6P33&pf_rd_p=d4d67636-ce56-42ac-a569-2a72b6446394

Is it too small? When reaching around in the dark in a drawer, should I go with a bigger size?

They have giant lights to use for less illumination. I figured this would be good since you can put it in your pocket easily and free up your hands without setting down your light and maybe losing it. Also, at 130 lumens, they can see far into the yard if needed.

I just don't know if it's too small for older (70s) hands in the middle of the night.

This is what I use literally every night. https://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-Ultra-Bright-Flashlight-Tactical/dp/B00CEOII9K/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1481650557&sr=8-17&keywords=flashlights

Like them so much, bought five in a pack and giving them out as Christmas gifts. Mostly I just use it on wide angel, Turn it upside down, makes a fine lantern. All they are basically is a Cree with a focus lens in an aircraft aluminum body. One AA powered.

Bought a Lowes $14 high output light for a lark, and like it so well its my critter spot light. Its so bright though, that's about all its useful for. Too bright for say behind the TV etc. Surprising light though. Lux Pro 290. Looks like they upped that $5 for Christmas. Anyway, its about like my Shurefire 6p led in output.

That said those little inexpensive ones are what I use most. In fact, my 82 year old mom uses one I gave her about four years ago.

Tj

I say too small. Most anything smaller than a standard size Mini-Mag is too small.

Also, stick with something that takes standard size batteries. Some of the really nice LED lights require exotic size batts and will end up in a junk drawer once the originals die.

I would suggest a high lumen flashlight with a medium lumen lantern. The flashlight for walking around and looking, and yes, seeing all the way to the back of the yard, and the lantern for setting on the table or bathroom vanity to light up the room.

I say too small. Most anything smaller than a standard size Mini-Mag is too small.

Also, stick with something that takes standard size batteries. Some of the really nice LED lights require exotic size batts and will end up in a junk drawer once the originals die.

Kind of difficult to find flashlights these days that aren't AA.

All those linked are. In mine, the first is 1 AA and second 2 AAs with a longer tail. This new high output stuff is great and all my Mini-mags are in drawers. The Cree highoutput bulbs revolutionized the flashlight industry like LED did to incandescent.

The first one in the link, I keep one by my bed which I turn upside down and use like a lamp for low light and not wake the wife up and to read by, another on my coffee table for let's look at this without turning the big lights on, and yet a third in my jacket pocket for taking the dogs out or trash down the drive. They last so long, I can remember changing the battery out once. They're little but being solid metal they have quite the heft to them.

Basically this is the world we live in now, a Cree bulb is a Cree bulb and a solid metal body with "O" ring seal well, doesn't matter who's brand name you throw on it anymore. Technology is off the wall so bright you can't use them. The light bounces off the wall or whatever and blinds you. You can get 700 lumen in the palm of your hand. If they had a giant reflector, they'd rival spot lights.

I've even upgraded my old Shurefires and my upgraded 6ps put out more light than my factory LED one does.

Its sad really. We still make good bodies but the Chinese have passed us in flashlights because they make the LEDs. We can thank the EPA for that one too.

Tj

Kind of difficult to find flashlights these days that aren't AA.

The new TrustFire that I recently bought (http://ar15armory.com/forums/topic/169656-trustfire-tr-3t6-torch/) uses 18650's.

You can't just walk in anywhere and find them. I ended up getting hotrod 9800mAh rechargeables.

I did want one which uses AA batteries for that reason, Longhair.

I'm not opposed to using AAA or CR123 batteries because I'm planning on buying a pack of batteries for them as well. But AA can be used in lots of things, so it'd be nice to buy one pack for everything.

I hate buying things that have literally a thousand options.

Edited by Casper

It's hard to beat the D cell mag lite. The one thing I hate about 95% of these new lights, scrolling through the modes. Buy a 2D led Mag Lite, a 8 pack of D batteries and their happy.

Edited by devil duck

It's hard to beat the D cell mag lite. The one thing I hate about 95% of these new lights, scrolling through the modes. Buy a 2D led Mag Lite, a 8 pack of D batteries and their happy.

With an LED upgrade, that would be a great choice. Enough light to be useful for a homeowner, sturdy enough to last a lifetime, and big enough to not get lost in a junk drawer. Though if we're going for absolute best ergonomics, I'd suggest the "C" cell size. More comfy in the hand, and it gives up little in performance.

With an LED upgrade, that would be a great choice. Enough light to be useful for a homeowner, sturdy enough to last a lifetime, and big enough to not get lost in a junk drawer. Though if we're going for absolute best ergonomics, I'd suggest the "C" cell size. More comfy in the hand, and it gives up little in performance.

I own the LED bigger one. It will light up the house 200 yards away. I have 5 of the latest and greatest new hand held lights. I grab that Mag Light 75% of the time when I need to just go outside for something. I think it has around 400 lumen. I like this one for them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GRD856K/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1481666354&sr=8-18&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=led+maglite&dpPl=1&dpID=51t4XvAj1jL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0099YPQCA/ref=mp_s_a_1_51?ie=UTF8&qid=1481666692&sr=8-51&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=led+maglite

Edited by devil duck

I couldn't agree more.

The thing that I dislike the most about the new lights is going through the menu of functions every time to get to where I want to be. A simple ON/OFF switch would be much better.

And I also have a small LED lantern that's capable of lighting up my living room. For short power outages when I don't bother to fire up the generator it's great!

I couldn't agree more.

The thing that I dislike the most about the new lights is going through the menu of functions every time to get to where I want to be. A simple ON/OFF switch would be much better.

And I also have a small LED lantern that's capable of lighting up my living room. For short power outages when I don't bother to fire up the generator it's great!

I have a Colman 8D lantern that uses a curly bulb. It has two settings of brightness and will light up a room completely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00168QWV6/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1481668256&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=coleman+8d+lantern&dpPl=1&dpID=41hMMz5tUML&ref=plSrch

My wife keeps one of those under her bed. Lowe's typically has them on sale every Christmas.

• Like 1

MY Maw in law has one like TJ suggested and loves it.

My wife keeps one of those under her bed. Lowe's typically has them on sale every Christmas.

I bought mine on sale at HD. The large head/reflector of the LED Mag Lite makes it one of the best outdoor looking around lights on the market.