Sign in to follow this  
Casper

Hey, old people! What size light for bedside?

So I ended up buying the ones that Tj recommended above. But I was pretty disappointed! I was hoping for a light good for longer distance.

Then I discovered the beam is adjustable... Doh!! Can see pretty far quite clearly once you adjust the beam. Don't even need to narrow it all the way. I can keep it slightly wide and see really far.

These little lights are pretty amazing at 2 for $8.99 including shipping. I bought 2 more after the first ones arrived. I should hand these out as gifts.

Here's the link again:

https://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-Ultra-Bright-Flashlight-Tactical/dp/B00CEOII9K/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1481650557&sr=8-17&keywords=flashlights

The only thing I don't like is the way they always switch between the three modes. Bright, low and strobe. Every time you turn the light on, it advances to the next mode. So I switch to the strobe each time I turn the light off, so it advances to the bright mode when I turn it on. A bit annoying.

I would get them something nice, like a Surefire 6 series. I would stay away from the multi function models, except for maybe a low setting.

Simple on/off is best, IMO. They can get LED lanterns for power outages.

However, I have learned from my wife, who has an old hand injury that the stiff tailcap button can be hard to operate, especially when new.

I would like one of our flashlight experts to recommend a 6P or smaller size light with a slide off/on button for old folks.

If my wife ever sees I have referred to her as an "old folk" it's been nice knowing you guys.

Edited by Retcop

The only thing I don't like is the way they always switch between the three modes. Bright, low and strobe. Every time you turn the light on, it advances to the next mode. So I switch to the strobe each time I turn the light off, so it advances to the bright mode when I turn it on. A bit annoying.

Yep, that's the new ones. The older cheaper ones are single mode. Not as much light but not very noticeable. You can get those in a double pack for about $3 each.

I use. actually last night, one of the older ones to take the trash out. At my house, that's a big deal. I have a 200' drive straight down a hill with trees on both sides and two big ass mean dogs that belong to my neighbor at the bottom. I never know what I'll jump from rabbits to skunks. Even spotlighted a deer or two. Trash can is on wheels.

BTW, Just so you don't feel alone. About everyone I gave one to for Christmas, I had to tell them the beam adjusts. :) It's not very apparent.

Anyway the one i use in my bedroom every night is about three years old now.

Tj

It's hard to beat the D cell mag lite. The one thing I hate about 95% of these new lights, scrolling through the modes. Buy a 2D led Mag Lite, a 8 pack of D batteries and their happy.

Great idea with pepper's LED upgrade, as long as it is putting out enough light.

Depending on how old/infirm they are a C cell might work better with aged/arthritic hands?

OP, is this flashlight for use in combination with a gun of the hand ?

Edited by Retcop

Great idea with pepper's LED upgrade, as long as it is putting out enough light.

Depending on how old/infirm they are a C cell might work better with aged/arthritic hands?

Buy the LED version, no upgrade required. I was at Wally World and they have one with 700 lumen. I seriously doubt they would ever need more light. That one will light up a house 200 yards away.

Not for gun in hand use. Just general lights out use. Or spotting what the dog is chasing when she's already 70 yards across the backyard.

The ones I got, mentioned above, are great. They both like the size and brightness. Great for putting in your pocket.

BTW, Since this thread keep popping up, I also gave out those pull up lanterns that you see on TV adds. You know the one the guy throws in the back of his truck? They make a inexpensive China knockoff. I'm not sure its not the same thing for half the money. You can find them on Amazon with best buys two or three packs. They're very nice. 4AA but put out more light than the older way more expensive 4 D cell lanterns. The light output is startling which is a good thing you can control how much light by how much you raise the top. Its a very good compact size like getting a full size LED lantern in half the space. Is outstanding for camping, fishing, or lighting up a room in an outage but probably a bit too much light for a bedstand night light.

This high efficiency high output LED's are changing the light world.

My life long buddy Jeddy came down visit last year and asked, "Why you got flashlights in every room?" I laughed and said "It gets dark here." :hysterical3: I was half joking and half serious. He lives in the city so it kind of never really gets dark. I'm not can't see your hand in the face on a new moon, but a lot darker than the city. You live where it gets dark you use flashlights.

Tj

BTW, Since this thread keep popping up, I also gave out those pull up lanterns that you see on TV adds. You know the one the guy throws in the back of his truck? They make a inexpensive China knockoff. I'm not sure its not the same thing for half the money. You can find them on Amazon with best buys two or three packs. They're very nice. 4AA but put out more light than the older way more expensive 4 D cell lanterns. The light output is startling which is a good thing you can control how much light by how much you raise the top. Its a very good compact size like getting a full size LED lantern in half the space. Is outstanding for camping, fishing, or lighting up a room in an outage but probably a bit too much light for a bedstand night light.

This high efficiency high output LED's are changing the light world.

My life long buddy Jeddy came down visit last year and asked, "Why you got flashlights in every room?" I laughed and said "It gets dark here." :hysterical3: I was half joking and half serious. He lives in the city so it kind of never really gets dark. I'm not can't see your hand in the face on a new moon, but a lot darker than the city. You live where it gets dark you use flashlights.

Tj

Those TV ads have caught my eye.

I keep meaning to research "Cobb LEDs".

They make it sound like a breakthrough in LED technology, for lanterns anyway.

I have a couple of older Coleman LED lanterns that come in very handy during an outage.

if they work the same as the version I got hold the button down until it turns off then as long as you do that to turn it off it's locked in high mode until you click through for another mode.

Warlike, I finally got around to trying this, but as soon as I start to press the button, it's turning off. So pressing it down and holding it doesn't seem to work.

I've been playing with it a little, but I don't know what else to try.