prof_fate

Reloading..die brand? progressive press use?

i reload a lot of pistol (9, 38..like 5k rounds a year) on a dillon 650.
I've done 30-06 for garand..have used 4895 and bought a power trickler/scale for it as it's such a PITA powder to deal with.

case prep on pistols..practically nothing. clean and reload.

one fired mil brass for 30-06..crap it's a time consuming process. I load single stage and it takes forever it seems. Part of that is the mil brass crimp removal of course, and some the powder won't meter from anything very well.

So I'll be reloading 223 later this spring probably for a mix of 200 yard cmp matches and hopefully some USPSA or patrol rifle shoots.

I'll need dies..been using mostly lee .. any suggestions on somethign else, and why?

Seems case prep is about the same - clean, lube shoulder, deprime/size, length check, chamfer, then perhaps on the 650 powder and bullet.

Preferred powder?

Edited by prof_fate

What twist rate?

What bullet?

I've used a ton of TAC and it meters very well. Very accurate with the heavy bullets.

I've always used RCBS for my progressive, but I do all my rifle stuff on a single stage.

I suppose any of the big name brands would do well. RCBS, Redding, Dillon, Hornady.

I'd recommend a competition bullet seating die though.

I can speak about dies. I've used Lee dies forever for rifle loading. Got tired of having chambering issues on my autoloaders. Went to Hornady's Custom Grade New Dimension dies and have had *zero* problems with chambering or sticking in the die etc.

I even bought an RCBS "small base" die set for 223 in an effort to solve my problems. Nope. Done with that and Lee dies for autoloader rifles.

I do not know what difference there is but I am 100% convinced after loading many hundreds of .308 and .223 rounds with these Hornady dies that I'll never go back to Lee for autoloading rifles.

Otherwise I use the hell out of Lee dies for bolt guns and pistol.

ETA: for the crimp I swage with an RCBS on press swaging tool. Works great. Once set up it's easy enough to run through a pile of brass. And I also load almost all of my bolt rifle ammo on a single stage press.

I do a mix of single stage and progressive for 308 and 223. I prep the brass including resize, prime and then use the progressive to dispense powder and seat then crimp the bullets.

For powder I've been using BL-C(2) and W748 in the autoloaders since I get very consistent throws from my dispensers. I use the extruded powders in the bolt guns and hand dispense with an RCBS dispenser.

Edited by Flesh Wound
  • Like 1

no where knowing what bullet to use/try. I suspect I'll get 10 rec from every 5 people.
Also depends I suppose on what I want it for, use wise. USPSA and 3Gun I'd imagine short range is all I'd use it for.

for CMP 200 yards is the most likely range, though some clubs shoot reduced targets at 100 yards so matches go quicker.

I doubt I'd ever shoot over 300 yards, other than to try it out and see.

twist is 1 in 9

and what is a competition bullet seating die?

What twist rate?

What bullet?

I've used a ton of TAC and it meters very well. Very accurate with the heavy bullets.

I've always used RCBS for my progressive, but I do all my rifle stuff on a single stage.

I suppose any of the big name brands would do well. RCBS, Redding, Dillon, Hornady.

I'd recommend a competition bullet seating die though.

I keep buying dies and keep going back to Lee. IMHO, that and their hand primer is about the only great things they make.

As for .223 powders, My current favorites are Exterminator or A2230 for 55 pills and TAC or H335 for heavier than 55. The Exterminator and A2230 are powders specifically designed for the .223 and 55 grain pills. H335 and TAC are almost dead ringers for each other in loading though the TAC seems to burn a lot cleaner. All four meter very well. Mostly though I use the A2230, easier to find the large 8lb containers and bulk 55 pills.

I save my rod slower burning powders like Varget for my larger caliber rifle rounds. Those I don't load in the higher volumes and can address the issues rod powders present a lot easier.

Tj

no where knowing what bullet to use/try. I suspect I'll get 10 rec from every 5 people.

Also depends I suppose on what I want it for, use wise. USPSA and 3Gun I'd imagine short range is all I'd use it for.

for CMP 200 yards is the most likely range, though some clubs shoot reduced targets at 100 yards so matches go quicker.

I doubt I'd ever shoot over 300 yards, other than to try it out and see.

twist is 1 in 9

and what is a competition bullet seating die?

A competition bullet seating die usually incorporates a "sleeve" of sorts that will make sure the bullet is perfectly aligned with the case. This ensures as little runout as possible which can lead to inaccuracy issues.

Forster, Redding and RCBS all make them as well as other brands I'm sure. They cost a little more, but are well worth the gains you get in the quality of the ammunition produced IMO.

I have loaded several (10k +) of .223 on a Lee Breech lock press and Lee dies. Not one problem. I use a batch opperation for case prep. Step 1. clean up to 1k in tumbler. Step 2. Using an alchohol carrier based case lube, in a tub, lube the cases. Step 3. FL sized and deprime. Step 4. Measure and trim. Step 5. Reprime and sort by case maker (while watching TV) Step 6. in lots of 150, after getting powder measure calibrated, throw powder charges and weigh every 3 to 5 to verify weight. I use the Lee perfect powder measure and XBR 8208 or H4895. Both powders measure well with XBR the better of the 2. From 40g to 77g bullets, these 2 powders are consistent and temp stable. Step 7. seat and crimp bullets and verify OAL using Hornady OAL tool.

I usually have a few thousand cases prepped out before I sit down to actually load the rounds. I can usually turn out a few hundred an hour with smoke breaks outside to strech my legs/back.. For my pistol stuff I use a Pro 1000. Good consistent reloads.

For the MIL brass. I use an open face lee classic press and the RCBS swage die.

• Like 1

I like Varget when I'm trickling out powder but otherwise a ball powder like 335 is really nice

I second the Hornady custom grade dies, but add the seating micrometer. Especially with 223 single stage loading, the custom grade dies have a sleeve that holds the projectile and aligns it with the case. I say especially with 223 because the projectiles being so small I feel they are hard to hold all the way to the seating stem. I used to use RCBS short base dies also for my 223 and 308, but have converted completely to Hornady dies.

I load mostly 6.5 Grendel and Creedmoor, but also load lots of 223, 308, and 300 Blackout. As far as brass prep is concerned I think it's kind of the nature of the beast. As far as swaging is concerned, I definitely recommend the Dillon Super Swage. It works great. I hope that helps.

I use a Dillon 550b with Dillon dies.Had my first depriming pin break in 25 years.I have never had a case get stuck in either pistol or rifle.So I am going to stick what has worked well for me.When I started out it was on a Lee pro 1000.Never could get those disks to not spill powder but it would crank out the ammo.