AR15Armory.com

Investing in a knife sharpener with belts

gshayd

Northern Tool Ken Onion edition. $139.99. $10.00 off online plus use code 251088 for another $20.00 + free shipping to house or store in lower 48. for $109.99. A replacment belt set is available for $14.99

click on keycode and enter the code for the discount before you order it.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200615233_200615233?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=VFWorkSharp

Edited by gshayd

That is what I have and use. I also have a leather belt for stropping my blades with it. You can get your blades stupid sharp pretty quick with it. Just be gentle or you can eat away the blade near the plunge line if you are not careful.

Edited by meh77gmc

Personally I would go with something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-61728.html either from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. It is a 1x30 inch belt sander that will give you a lot more flexibility and ease of use. You can buy belts from 25 grit to 3000 grit and a leather stropping belt for them. I think I picked up 10 2000 grit belts on ebay for around $10.00 which included shipping. Just my 2 cents.

I happen to have that 1x30 belt sander as well. I use it when I make blades. NEVER will i use it to sharpen a knife! You can't turn the speed down on that thing and will heat and ruin the temper of a knife in a heartbeat. If it makes sparks when you use it, it is not touching my knives.

That is the important thing that Ken Onion stressed is not heating up the blade which is why it has a

• The variable speed control (1200 SFM to 2800 SFM) provides you with the optimal belt speed for the task at hand

I happen to have that 1x30 belt sander as well. I use it when I make blades. NEVER will i use it to sharpen a knife! You can't turn the speed down on that thing and will heat and ruin the temper of a knife in a heartbeat. If it makes sparks when you use it, it is not touching my knives.

I guess it would be good for shaping a blade before you heat treat it. Plus this goes up to a 6000 fine belt.

Edited by gshayd

Yes, you are totally correct about the sparking/heating tempering concern. One has to learn a gentle hand. With the finer abrasives it is much easier to avoid the overheating issues. The other issue that needs attention is not "bending the blade edge from over presure against it, mostly a problem on extremely sharp small bevel angles (10 - 15 degrees for example).

I got an original work sharp for a bday gift. After a little reading I traded it off for some real hand sharpening stuff. A lansky sharpening system as well as a spyderco sharp maker.

I watched a couple videos on YouTube of people destroying $100 knives in 2 min or less with one of those things. I'll pass.

I got an original work sharp for a bday gift. After a little reading I traded it off for some real hand sharpening stuff. A lansky sharpening system as well as a spyderco sharp maker.

I watched a couple videos on YouTube of people destroying $100 knives in 2 min or less with one of those things. I'll pass.

Ive had those out the wazoo. People can destroy stuff with a screwdriver and pair of pliers....lol. Its a matter of understanding what you are doing and the principles of sharpening a knife. I have some butcher knives I use on ribs and meats you would be a while use a Lansky sharpener on 14 inch blades :bellylaf:

Edited by gshayd