Sign in to follow this  
Gasbar

Any other die-hard bass fisherman here?

I spend late Nov- late March reloading, shooting, and doing "gun stuff", but then the switch flips and it's all bass fishing all the time until the next fall.

I fish a lot of small local tournaments, and run a local weekend + after work evening team trail on my home lake. I am usually on the water 2-3 nights a week after work, and at least one full day every weekend rain or shine. I am lucky to have a couple of great smaller lakes (Silver and Conesus) in my backyard that offer fantastic smallmouth and largemouth fishing.

I spend late Nov- late March reloading, shooting, and doing "gun stuff", but then the switch flips and it's all bass fishing all the time until the next fall.

I fish a lot of small local tournaments, and run a local weekend + after work evening team trail on my home lake. I am usually on the water 2-3 nights a week after work, and at least one full day every weekend rain or shine. I am lucky to have a couple of great smaller lakes (Silver and Conesus) in my backyard that offer fantastic smallmouth and largemouth fishing.

I don't know where you are but I have a question for bass guys. Last summer in Northern California we came to Lake Orr which is just about the most beautiful place you can find in this high, dry area. In that lake was something they called a black bass if this is correct. There was a USFS picture and someone caught one while we were there. It looked like a small mouth bass to me. It was certainly over a pound and may have been up to three pounds. There were other fish, trout and catfish but the black bass looked like it might be a native. It was black or at least very dark.

Have you ever heard of these and is this a native fish?

This is what we call a black bass, or a largemouth bass.

I don't know if they have them up north, but they are so much fun to catch.

ar_bassforecast_f.jpg

Hoping to get on the largemouth in East TN, soon! Still looking for ponds...

I used to fish for largemouth bass when I lived in So. California. We often went to the Colorado River but nothing bigger than a pound or so. Once a guy I was with used a bass plug and caught a stripped bass weighing several pounds in Lake Havasu on the river. These are kinda in the same family with those norther fish, pikes or muskies, but smaller. He hated to eat fish so he gave it to me. It was pure white meat and tasted as good as trout.