AR15Armory.com

New build and BCG jammed

kevzskim4

took out a build today and am now in a bit of a bind. Shot one round through, no problem. loaded 2 in a magazine (just to make sure I put everything together right). No problems. Load up a full mag, first round went off ok. Then next bolt cycle pulled trigger to just a click. Thought hung round so I gave it a minute and then went to pull charging handle back. would not move. BCG was caught up a little back than it should be. was too far back to break open. could not rack it back. finally with a bit of persuasion got it back. no round chambered so it wasn't a hang fire. put charged bolt back without a round and it went. was able to dry fire but the same thing happened. could not charge it back and it was too far back to break open.

Any ideas on what's happening here?

I thought about retaining pin as well.

Got home and sent the bolt home. no problem. broke it down and took out BCG and charging handle.

I am now truly stumped. Could it be something expanding with heat that isn't within spec?

Top of the cam pin could be out of spec. I have one like that, it gets mysteriously hung up in the upper. I noticed wear in the finish on one side of the cam pin and I flipped it 180 and haven't had an issue since.

Top of the cam pin could be out of spec. I have one like that, it gets mysteriously hung up in the upper. I noticed wear in the finish on one side of the cam pin and I flipped it 180 and haven't had an issue since.

This was my first thought as well. Check the cam pin and inside the receiver for unusual wear. In general give the upper a good look for abrasion. That should give you a clue.

No updates unfortunately. No signs of wear or anything rubbing. Cleaned and lubed everything really well. will try again next time I get out.

You can also pull the hammer out to make it safe to cycle ammo through manually. It would be one more way to check it before you go out next.

• 6 months later...

I know, bad on my part not bringing it out until today. Flipped cam pin. no unusual wear in receiver. Loaded one. Fired. no problem. fired 2. no problem. fired 3. same freaking thing. bolt was jammed about 9/10's of the way home. Could not move.

Since no one else was at range today (which was nice I must say) and I was only loading one at a time until I figured this out, I mortared it. bolt came back, so was able to latch. Sent it home, same thing, about 9/10's of the way there and jammed up bad. Mortared, latched bolt back, went to another rifle the rest of the day.

Got home. Released bolt. it went full. could charge, release no problem. dry fired, jammed up again. Mortared, BCG released. able to cycle. dry fire. jammed forward.

Finally just mortared it and without firing pulled the bcg.

Do I have a bad bolt carrier group, or something else going on. really frustrating...