AR15Armory.com

First uspsa match today.

Ok guys. Just finished my first USPSA match. Took a few videos for you all to give me some pointers on.

I shot carry optics division and it was quite fun. I just got the dot this week so I'm VERY new to it which is probably obvious from the videos.

I have videos from stages 2-5. We started on stage 6 so 5 was my last stage of the day and probably my best. I don't have the scores yet but I know on stage 5 for example I had like all alphas and 1-2 Charlie's.

Stage 2. Second classifier of the day. Tick Tock.

was Virginia count and I stuck the first shot in the top target in the no shoot and knew it. Was in too much hurry from the left target to top. Next time I think I'll start at the top to help that problem.

Stage 3.

nothing special here. Think I was slow on the steel for sure. I didn't know that shots on the black weren't a penalty or I would have speed up some on the far right side target. I had plenty of ammo.

Stage 4

comletly screwed up my plan on this one. I was first shooter and it got to me. I meant to shoot it all from two positions in the middle instead of going to the edge to start with. Then I engaged 2 targets on the first mag that were meant for the second mag causing me to run empty to slide lock. I also had a Mike on a double target one above the other. My eyes didn't realize that the head of the front target was covering the a zone of the second so target 1 had 3 shots and target two only had one.

Stage 5

last stage of the day and I was last shooter. I was happy with this one. All alphas and 1-2 Charlie's. Hit the mag change at the right spot. Hit the steel. My plan of attack was exactly the same as an A class shooter so I was happy with my planning. Just speed this one up and I'm happy I think.

Ok guys. Fire away. I know I've got some things to work on but overall I'm happy. No DQ ( one shooter in out squad did due to an AD on reload. It was his 3rd match).

Oh and one other funny thing. Fist stage of the day, first target, I popped both round before I remember that I had a red dot!!! I never even saw it! Good thing the target was close.

Match totals

80 shooter

i placed 57

A-99

b-2

c-24

d-11

m-4

npm-5 (classifier stage lightning and thunder)

no shoot -1

Here is the breakdown by stage

0930FF90-FF09-466B-8E14-DDEB789A474B.png

Stages I videoed were tick tick through to the left.

I finished 57 out of 80 shooters.

Finished second in carry optics division

• Like 1

The only advice I am willing to give right now

is to concentrate on smoother rather than faster.

With smoothness comes speed.

When you are training, if you are trying to go so fast

you are getting misses, or very erratic groups, slow down.

What you are doing in training/practice is hardwiring your brain

so that all of this become muscle memory. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Maybe this makes sense: Don't let your speed outrun your skill level.

If you do, you are possibly making errors in form that could become training scars.

You did great, buddy.

I am impressed .

John

Looks like a lot of fun. I have shot IDPA and some of the stages go a lot faster than you realize when you are shooting them. I need to find a USPSA place around here. The closest IDPA club lost their range this year, the next closest one is over an hour away.

Thx guys.

As far as the smooth vs fast thing I totally get it now. I slowed down the last few stages and my hits were much better.

Red how far are you from park city ky? There is a range there that does uspsa and has some big major matches too I think.

Thx guys.

As far as the smooth vs fast thing I totally get it now. I slowed down the last few stages and my hits were much better.

Red how far are you from park city ky? There is a range there that does uspsa and has some big major matches too I think.

About 2 hours dragging my camper. About an about and a half just trucking. We did our first camp trip of the year up there last month.

• 3 weeks later...

Good job Caleb!

More practice and more matches will bring you up in the ranks. I'm often the guy holding the timer, so I get to watch for safety and procedural violations.

It's a ton of fun, and a great way to keep your skills honed.

If also recommend taking an advanced two or three day class from one of several well known trainers. Once every year or two. This will help you stay rounded out as far as real life scenarios. You often get to do advanced stuff you can't normally do on a live range as well which will increase your abilities and confidence.

Good job Caleb!

More practice and more matches will bring you up in the ranks. I'm often the guy holding the timer, so I get to watch for safety and procedural violations.

It's a ton of fun, and a great way to keep your skills honed.

If also recommend taking an advanced two or three day class from one of several well known trainers. Once every year or two. This will help you stay rounded out as far as real life scenarios. You often get to do advanced stuff you can't normally do on a live range as well which will increase your abilities and confidence.

Thx newbe.

There is actually a class comming up in august with bob Vogel. I would love to take it but dang, $450!!!!

Congratulations sir, very nice job. A 2n place in your division is really good and 57 OA means you whipped 23 others. Very good for a first outing.

I can only offer about the same as others, slow down to speed up. You pushed some of the shots and I bet you know exactly when you did it too. Working on your stance will go a VERY long way, those "off camber" shots is where they got you. Try to stay further back in the box, it will help you stay away from those hard angle shots.

Lol, I swear those boxes shrink once I get in them. IDPA is a little different with the barricades and boxes but keeping control of your body position is still the same. Other than practice, practice and some more practice you are doing very good.

Again, Congratulations, nice job sir.

Thx newbe.

There is actually a class comming up in august with bob Vogel. I would love to take it but dang, $450!!!!

Sorry, I should have clarified "training".

I was referring to groups who employ combat veterans such as Northern Red, Magpul, Kyle Defoor, Kyle Lamb, etc