bruce7267ad

What 55.6 ammo or .223 is worth stocking for shtf?

YOU THE MAN, NEWBE!

Order placed...I'm gonna heat up a cup of the seafood chowder the wife made,

turn on TCM and go to sleep with a smile on my face.

You made my day, my friend !

John

YOU THE MAN, NEWBE!

Order placed...I'm gonna heat up a cup of the seafood chowder the wife made,

turn on TCM and go to sleep with a smile on my face.

You made my day, my friend !

John

Glad I could help. :segrin:

Alot of info here thanks guys for your time. I know my local walmart has federal 55grain 556 but im really only looking to run 62 grain minimum for my 1 to 7 twist barrel. Ill gave to get a bunch of 20 rd. Boxes and see what works

Alot of info here thanks guys for your time. I know my local walmart has federal 55grain 556 but im really only looking to run 62 grain minimum for my 1 to 7 twist barrel. Ill gave to get a bunch of 20 rd. Boxes and see what works

You should have jumped on that Speer deal from PSA for home defense, brother.

You just can't find a better SD ammo for anywhere near that price, especially when you throw in no shipping costs...

They will run it again.

I should have wrote you that I would buy the leftovers if you did not like it....

John

Edited by Retcop

Any reason for the choice of 62gr?

Your 1:7 will do perfectly fine with 55gr pills.

For SHTF, I would (and do) stock M193 and M855, or the equivalent thereof from a well-respected mfgr. Call me crazy, but I would not trust my life to Wolf or any other "value brand" ammo.

For SHTF, I would (and do) stock M193 and M855, or the equivalent thereof from a well-respected mfgr. Call me crazy, but I would not trust my life to Wolf or any other "value brand" ammo.

That's how it is for me. I have never even tried Wolf.

If 20 guys I trust here tell me how dirty or underpowered it is, why would I stock it away?

I have tried just about everything else, but when I go to buy 1,000 or two 5.56, it always seems to end up Federal, Lake City preferred.

Wolf steel-cased "polyformance" and wolf "gold" are very different. Imo wolf gold (brass-cased) isn't dirty or underpowered.

Of course, wolf gold isn't my preferred stockpile ammo so I ain't gonna spend too much time hyping it up. I like it for training classes, but iirc it has a thicker jacket than proper m193 so I don't trust it as much for face-shooting.

Wolf steel-cased "polyformance" and wolf "gold" are very different. Imo wolf gold (brass-cased) isn't dirty or underpowered.

Of course, wolf gold isn't my preferred stockpile ammo so I ain't gonna spend too much time hyping it up. I like it for training classes, but iirc it has a thicker jacket than proper m193 so I don't trust it as much for face-shooting.

This. Wolf is not the manufacturer, they are the IMPORTER. Therefore, not all wolf is the same factory or quality. Wolf gold is (I believe) made by PMC.

The old Wolf steel was made in the Tula plant. The newer Wolf steel is made at the Barnaul plant last I checked. The newer steel wolf is better than the older steel Wolf, but it's still dirty and crappy compared to the brass cased Ammo.

I personally would not stock steel case ammo of any kind for SHTF. But I do use steel case ammo for plinking.

Fed Lake City XM193 or M855

Privi Partizan XM193 or M855

IMI XM193 or M855

Wolf you are gambling with, it is dirty and seen to many inconsistencies with it.

PMC use to be made here, however they are a sell out and went to South Korea with production but never reduced cost.

From what ive read and seen 55 grain is a bad choice for a 1 to 7 twist barrel right? O please prove me wrong my walmart sells Remington 55 grain 55.6

From what ive read and seen 55 grain is a bad choice for a 1 to 7 twist barrel right? O please prove me wrong my walmart sells Remington 55 grain 55.6

That is incorrect. 55gr works perfectly fine in a 1:7 twist barrel.

That is incorrect. 55gr works perfectly fine in a 1:7 twist barrel.

Exactly, works just fine.

...please prove me wrong

That's a fair request, so I'll link you to one example. clicky here, and scroll down to the bottom of the second post.

Lightweight varmint rounds can blow apart in midair coming out of a faster-twist barrel. Military-style ammo is not so fragile.