bruce7267ad

What 55.6 ammo or .223 is worth stocking for shtf?

Wolf steel-cased "polyformance" and wolf "gold" are very different. Imo wolf gold (brass-cased) isn't dirty or underpowered.

Of course, wolf gold isn't my preferred stockpile ammo so I ain't gonna spend too much time hyping it up. I like it for training classes, but iirc it has a thicker jacket than proper m193 so I don't trust it as much for face-shooting.

Spot on.

Any M193 out of less than a 20" barrel is going to be a toss up whether it has the velocity to

tumble and/or fragment, let alone a 55 grain bullet with a thicker jacket...

Thanks for the info on Wolf Gold.

Was not aware of the thicker jackets.

I am not big on providing the Russians with hard currency in any way.

Their economy is is bad shape, which is exactly how we want it.

As with Reagan, they are not going to be able to keep up with Trump's

Military build up, just as Gorbachev could not keep up with Reagan

without incurring the wrath of the already financially stressed Russian population.

My choice is IMI m193-spec. I'm sure I would be equally happy with any similar-quality manufacturer.

However, I plan to transition to speer gold dots in the future. They're affordable enough that I can stockpile a bunch over time, yet they're not so cheap that I'm willing to buy a few thousand all at once.

Once again, spot on.

I'm up to 800 or 1,000 ronds once my last order arrives.

If newbe will keep me posted re the 200 rounds for 100 bucks delivered from PSA,

I may be able to double my stock by the end of the year. Thanks again, my friend.

If memory serves, the going rate for Lake City M193 is about 33 cents a round, you have to buy a thousand at a time,

and that does not include shipping. Add in shipping, and depending on where you live, I think you are addin 2 to 5 cents around.

So for M193 for 55 grain FMJ at aound 35 to close to 40 cents per round, permium Speer lead tipped 64 grain (or hevier) with

nickel plated cases, proven expansion at less than rifle velocities, and QC aimed at the Law Enforcement market,

stocking up on the Gold Dot for just a hair under 50 cents per round is a hands down no brainer. YMMV.

EDIT:

I need to correct the above statement. Speer Gold Dot 5.56 is some of the crappiest ammo I have ever used. It is dirty, produces extreme muzzle flash, I have experienced bullet set back, loose primers, and blown primers. It's jam-o-matic ammo. Trust me. It can even go off by itself. You can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

I read a review that the ammo failed to expand even at muzzle velocities. The CDC just reported that

you can catch a variety of really nasty STD's just from handling the stuff. Try explaining that to the wife.

Hep C and bubonic plague, too.

Stay away from it. Don't buy it. I'm sorry these problems slipped my mind, but better late than never.

Stick with the Lake City if you don't want your rifle exploding, and chunks of the silver painted cases and your receiver embedded in your face.

I apologize on the confusion.

Glad I could set the record straight. :thumb:

Alot of info here thanks guys for your time. I know my local walmart has federal 55grain 556 but im really only looking to run 62 grain minimum for my 1 to 7 twist barrel. Ill gave to get a bunch of 20 rd. Boxes and see what works

Bruce,

If you plan to use that penetrator ammo for SHTF, which one can presume will be mostly unarmored bad guys, it is about

the worst SD ammo you can fire out of an AR. You can test how the 55 grain shoots in your rifle,

and if it shoots well say, out to 200 yards, that would be a better choice for 2 legged animal.

The penetrator is great if you are shooting into a car, want to disable a car, or the bad guys are behind a mild barrier.

For unarmored human targets the penetrator has dismal terminal ballistics. This is the stuff that resulted in new rounds for our Special Forces,

and the round that has produced the vast majority of reports from our Troops in the Middle East complaining about needing multiple

rounds to take the bad guy out of the fight, and reports that the round was producing .22 caliber "ice Pick" wounds where the bad guy was able to stay in the fight.

This is not criticism of you. I am just trying to provide information. I keep some 62 green tip in my stock

but most of it is in X193, because it has been shown to have better terminal ballistics. If 55 grainers do not work well in your rifle,

I would look for a 62 grain or higher round without the steel penetrator.

The Speer Gold Dot is really great stuff at an unbelievable price, and I am at or close to 1,00 rounds now, bought over time.

The small price difference is well worth it. PSA offers even heavier Gold Dots for the same price and deal and you can tailor the weight

to what your rifle shoots the best.

Jon

• Like 1

I glad y'all stepped up to help. I have worn out my tablet looking for "55.6" ammo. The closest I could get was a 51mm, 2 gauge punt gun. Then I was thinking, do you really need to worry about which ammo would be better for " shtf" when you are punching a 2" hole through the next four houses down.

But hey, I am a huge fan of big calaber thumpers also so who am I to question someone's choice of fire power.

Edited by devil duck

The 62 green tip penatrators where at a great price of 25 cents a round for a 250 round deal of about 75 bucks so i got two orders of em just to see what they do at 300 or less yards. Ill pick up a small box of 55 grain fmj from walmart to see if my barrel likes it. Im running a 18inch barrel so hopefully it stays accurate.

At 300 yards with my 18 inch 1 to 7 twist barrel what kind accuracy should i be getting to tell if my ar likes it or not? Ill be looking throught a primary arms 1 to 8x scope i think its the aces one.

Also what round would you guys sight my ar in? 62 grain i presume? Thanks guys for all you input so far im still very new at all this.

The 62 green tip penatrators where at a great price of 25 cents a round for a 250 round deal of about 75 bucks so i got two orders of em just to see what they do at 300 or less yards. Ill pick up a small box of 55 grain fmj from walmart to see if my barrel likes it. Im running a 18inch barrel so hopefully it stays accurate.

At 300 yards with my 18 inch 1 to 7 twist barrel what kind accuracy should i be getting to tell if my ar likes it or not? Ill be looking throught a primary arms 1 to 8x scope i think its the aces one.

Also what round would you guys sight my ar in? 62 grain i presume? Thanks guys for all you input so far im still very new at all this.

Holy Cow, I am behind the times...where are you finding green tips for 25 cents a round?????

Is this Federal ? I want some...... :)

No kidding! The best price I can usually get is around 35 cents a round.

That said, I wouldn't use M855 for home defense, for the reasons stated above. However, it can be useful as "problem solver" ammo (i.e. bad guy in a car, bad guy wearing armor, bad guy hiding behind an obstacle, etc). So it does have a place in SHTF scenarios... not so much for HD scenarios.

• Like 1

I use that app ammoseek. The rounds i got where actually 28 cents a round. On americanmarksman.com

Seems like walmart wants 70 for 150 62 grain rounds. Ugh... ill have to just keep paying shipping on these sites i guess or bass pro for my 7.62 x 39 tula 100 round count

Seems like walmart wants 70 for 150 62 grain rounds. Ugh...

That's basically the same price as 64gr speer gold dots from PSA.

Feels like we should be able to get more for that kinda money

BTW: For you guys who keep an eagle eye on PSA, if you ever see another deal on Speer Gold Dot .223 please holler at me !

John, its worth it to get on the mailing list. Yeah you get 5-6 every week but they have such temping specials. Even the 24hr deals continue on if you go to thw ebsite and check. I think its going right now. I remember seeing the 10 box free shipping deal this week sometime.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/speer-223-remington-64gr-gold-dot-ammunition-20rds-24448.html

Well never mind, didnt read your other review on page 2. Dont want bubonic plague or an STD.

Edited by hlhneast

John, its worth it to get on the mailing list. Yeah you get 5-6 every week but they have such temping specials. Even the 24hr deals continue on if you go to thw ebsite and check. I think its going right now. I remember seeing the 10 box free shipping deal this week sometime.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/speer-223-remington-64gr-gold-dot-ammunition-20rds-24448.html

Well never mind, didnt read your other review on page 2. Dont want bubonic plague or an STD.

LOL!

I did not check if that was an early morning before coffee rant, or a wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep bungle.

I rarely get hung up on any one product,

but I do pick Speer for all of my personal defense needs...

I just have complete faith in it. Pistol, revolver, or rifle.