Sign in to follow this  
captainbarred

Tell me about Iowa....

Climate? Gun laws?

I'm looking at a job there and want to know what its like. I know it'd be better than NY...

but by how much?

Cost of living?

Silencers legal?

NFA legal?

License for handguns? or just for permits?

Overall gun friendly or not?

Thanks,

-CB

Where in Iowa?

Des Moines or thereabouts.

If the house sells sooner rather than later, and the state looks good, I'll be putting in for the job. No idea if anything will come of it, but wanted to find out about the state before looking seriously.

Obviously don't want to move from NY to somewhere like CA or MA.... I think Neil would ban me :lol: !!

I like Iowa. I think it's a nice place, at least the few times I've been there. Iowa City was beautiful. Des Moines was an average small city. seemed conservative. Cedar Rapids was fun.

Iowa is flat as hell, but it is mostly farmland. I remember seeing Des Moines rising out of cornfields. I like Iowa. I have always thought it would be a nice place to live, if you like rural.

Rural works for me. I hate cities and clutter. Always been more of a forest than plains/fields type, but anythings better than where I am now.

I'm perfectly happy with small town, so long as USPS, UPS, or Fedex delivers :lol:

Des Moines is a liberal city, they have a few gunshops, but also have some stupid gun laws, but they are slowly getting more "conservative" (good) Iowa as a whole is more liberal than conservative, but that's du to all the farms and the subsidiaries the farmer get...and don't forget Iowa is home to ethanol in your gas.....

Brownells has a HUGE kick ass store about 45 min East of Des Moines on I80 at Grinnell. Montour (north of Grinnell) has Rubes steak house, it's the best steakhouse in Iowa & a grill your own (or they will grill it for you) Seems like South of 80 in Grrinnel is where Brownells range is & you can shoot there. Not sure what Des Moines actually has for ranges...

It's easy to get your Iowa CCP and in Des Moines you have a really good firearms instructor. It's like 150 miles from Omaha and Omaha also has a really good firearms instructor....

Several small towns around Des Moines, I'd live in Ames or Ankeny and drive to work instead of living in Des Moines itself.....

If I remember right, IA is now a shall issue CCP vs a may issue & they have 2 different CCP......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/04/12/iowa-lawmakers-passed-the-states-most-expansive-gun-rights-bill-ever/?utm_term=.3a70ca0a1e10

Edited by Rampy

50 miles from Des Moines is Marshalltown, it's home to the only real Maid Rite loose meat sammich shop left in the world using the original 1940's era cooker....it's well worth the drive to Taylors Maid Rite for 2 and a malt.......

Des Moines has some of the best Tenderloin sammiches in the state, they have a small old butcher shop that makes superb ones.....

Medic07 is in that area also.......

Des Moines is at HIGH risk from flooding, before moving in someplace ask about flooding, ask to see the flood plain maps, some years back the Des Moines water works flooded, 1/4 of the city was under water, huge sections of I80 was flooded.....

Lots of mosquitoes in the summer, hot and humid.....real green....some great lakes nearby and oher fun stuff to do...like mushrooms, fresh picked mushrooms cooked in butter.....

• Like 1

Plus, you could take part in the caucuses.

There is a huge amount of manufacturing and industry in Iowa, and a lot of it is around Des Moines. Even if you don't like where you end up, there are alternative jobs to be had.

Things to be aware of, the state is not as flat as the rumors say. The farther west you go, away from river ground, the flatter it gets. East side is somewhat hilly and broken.

Watch out on the highways, you can take any damn thing with wheels down even 4 lane divided highways in Iowa. Bonus if it is ag equipment, 30 feet wide, and goes 19 MPH.

If you have allergies, fall will SUCK during harvest. Shouldn't be terrible most of the rest of the year.

The whole state stinks like poop (pigs and cows) for about a month in the spring and 6 weeks in the fall. Lots of ag stuff there, and manure must be spread while the ground is not frozen and both before crops go in and after they come out.

Suppressors are allowed, that law recently passed. CCW is possible. Not sure on the details, but my permit is good there.

If you hunt, there are a TON of huge corn feed deer that need to die and get eaten as well.

Loose Meat Sandwiches....

Climate? Gun laws?

I'm looking at a job there and want to know what its like. I know it'd be better than NY...

but by how much?

Cost of living?

Silencers legal?

NFA legal?

License for handguns? or just for permits?

Overall gun friendly or not?

Thanks,

-CB

Texas is the place you ought to be....

your scaring me with the high humidity. I'll takea dry heat 110 over 100% humidity at 90 degrees any day of the week.

I don't mind being in farming areas, nor do I mind the smells of farms.

I know cost of living is relatively low, but that also means salaries are pretty low. Gotta look into it a bit more.

Texas you know you want to.