Sign in to follow this  
captainbarred

Tell me about Iowa....

Humidity is not "bad" it's annoying til you get accustomed to it...Now San Antonio has killer humidity compared to Des Moines....Florida is swimming in the air....

Does not smell that bad, not at all....

Pay is actually decent, it's not stupid expensive to live there. but it's not cheap....depending on your job/employer it's not hard to make mid 5, low 6 figures......

your scaring me with the high humidity. I'll takea dry heat 110 over 100% humidity at 90 degrees any day of the week.

I don't mind being in farming areas, nor do I mind the smells of farms.

I know cost of living is relatively low, but that also means salaries are pretty low. Gotta look into it a bit more.

Tenderloin from Haley's deli in Marshalltown.......

17425848_1850136785012630_15387888129861

Guru BBQ in Des Moines

17498652_1847977941895181_22218311999584

Iowa Ham Balls, something you can't find outside of Iowa....

17861924_1869596773066631_29115125242234

Jethro’s BBQ n’ LakeHouse Ankeny, Iowa, Tenderloin and onyon rings, I could only eat 1/2 of it.....

13434722_1455874647772181_46235977255042

No caption needed, best meal in Iowa, easily worth driving 500 miles out of your way for.....

13319769_1454888727870773_49238850142526

• Like 1

I love them loose meat sammiches. The other benefit you get from being a Texas is you don't got to hell when you die because its not hot enough. San Antonio does not have high humidity to a SE Texas person near the Gulf Coast :lol:

Edited by gshayd

50 miles from Des Moines is Marshalltown, it's home to the only real Maid Rite loose meat sammich shop left in the world using the original 1940's era cooker....it's well worth the drive to Taylors Maid Rite for 2 and a malt.......

Des Moines has some of the best Tenderloin sammiches in the state, they have a small old butcher shop that makes superb ones.....

Medic07 is in that area also.......

I agree with Iowa being more liberal than conservative.

But compared to NY, it will be paradise.

I would try getting on their State Police Website.

There should be links to their CCW and other gun laws on that page.

As far as the Maid rite, we have a restaurant in a small town about 45 minutes North of me that is still

making the real deal, although I don't know the age of their grill....

You know my friend I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help on this one but I use to travel the state a lot.

During summer there's miles upon miles of corn so high on a trip you almost jump for joy at an overpass. The foods good, country cooking everywhere, plenty of corn fed beauties especially in the colleges, but the strippers are typically butt ugly.

Sorry that's it for me. They honor my permit but even my years in IL, I never attended a shoot there. I think that had more to do with population density more than anything.

TJ

With today's corn you should get corn about 6 feet tall by the 4th of July :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

You have never had such great sweet corn as in Iowa, nothing compares.....even feed corn fresh off the stalk is better than sweet corn in stores....

Here's a ultra rare picture of my car back in the early 80's..... :segrin: :segrin: :segrin:

18274680_1908324589193849_99339294347553

Thanks again for all the feedback. Cornfields terrify me as you won't see the zombies coming :lol: